Hypokalemia

What is a better alternative for licorice?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old single male. In the past, I have experimented with using non-deglycyrrhizinated licorice to reduce my libido and make single life more manageable. I have hereditary low blood pressure so that the side effect was not an issue for me. However, after a few days of use,...  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Non-deglycyrrhizinated licorice contains Glycyrrhizin which has some side-effects like hypertension, hypokalaemia, reduces testosterone, edema, etc., as you mentioned well. Muscle cramps and aches are most probably due to hypokalaemia. To...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for giddiness and high BP?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. My weight is 70 kg and height is 5'6". I have some giddiness problem for the past two years. Doctors termed it as excessive stress, anxiety and tension. Before four months I had giddiness and high BP. Then at times I feel like taking long breaths and weakness in legs. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data you have posted. Some things are important in what you said. First diagnosis of hypertension HTN at 22 years of age has to be seriously looked into unless there is strong family history for the same. For the diagnosis of HTN three offi...  Read Full »

I feel a sudden change in heartbeat. Will Potassium tablet help?

Query: Hi doctor, Can a normal person take Potassium Chloride (99 mg) tablet for good working of the heart? I sometimes feel a sudden change in my heartbeat. Will this tablet help to rectify that? What are the side effects of the above mentioned tablet? I have started taking it just three days before and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, Potassium chloride should not be taken without measuring serum potassium levels on daily or alternate day basis. Potassium is a highly toxic electrolyte component of blood. The increased level of potassium can cause skipped beats. It can cause palpitation and after a ...  Read Full »