Q. My newborn son has hypospadias with no disturbance in passing urine. Is surgery necessary?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

My newborn baby boy has mild hypospadias with missing foreskin (looks like naturally circumcised) although he is passing urine without any problem. Is there anything to concern about this? Do we require surgery for our child? Is there any problem if we do not opt for any surgery?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your query. I would like to know a few more details to answer your question better.

From where does he pass urine, tip of the penis or from below the surface? If it is below the surface, how far from the tip is it?

Usually, children with hypospadias do not have any difficulty in passing urine. He will need a clinical examination by a pediatric urologist to find out whether he needs any surgery. Usually, if the opening is too far down the penis he will require surgery, but it is not an emergency, it can be done once he is sufficiently big enough to tolerate anesthesia better around two to three years of age. If you do not operate, it will not cause any difficulty in urination, but his penis may be curved during erections and there may be problems with ejaculation and deposition of sperm in the vagina.

I would advise you to visit a pediatric urologist who is experienced in this field to have a clinical examination to confirm the need for surgery.

| 

Miscarriage
This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»