Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Are hair fall, acne, indigestion and irregular periods interrelated?

Answered by
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have doubts regarding indigestion, severe hair fall, acne with irregular and short menstrual cycles, which is lasting from a few days. Are these interrelated? I am suffering from PCOS, as the latest lower abdomen test shows a cyst in the lower ovary. Also, my menstrual cycles are getting reduced to one to two days with severe pain and indigestion during periods. For the past one month, I have started taking Shatavari gulam. Sometimes I also observe the cracking of bones in my legs. Please suggest me the treatment plan.


Ayurveda Specialist


Welcome to

I came to know from your complaints that you have PCOS with hair fall, indigestion, and reduced menstrual flow. Yes, your doubt is right, it is all related. As per Ayurveda PCOS is caused by eating excessive sweet, fatty foods which increase kapha (mucus) in the body. When kapha increases, it reduces the digestive power and patient complaints of indigestion. That is your main problem that I understand.

Due to improper diet and physical activities, vata (pacifying foods) also get aggravated in PCOS. Hence the digestion is not proper, and the rasa dhatu is not formed properly affects the menstrual blood (rakta dhatu) and that cause more kapha and medas, and this is why some PCOS patients will gain more weight.

The undigested food is called ama. This ama will produce hormonal imbalance that causes changes in menstrual flow. Some patients will complaint heavy flow once in three months, or some complaints less flow that lasts for one or two days. The energy responsible for transformation is called as pitta. In PCOS, pitta is also getting vitiated and patient complaints of hair loss, pimples, painful menstruation sometimes with clots. The movement of follicles from ovum to fallopian tubules is controlled by vata.

When vata is impaired producing scanty menstruation with pain, the cracking of bones in legs happens due to aggravated vata. Hence treatment will include all steps to reduce vitiated vata, pitta, and kapha.

Treatment plan. Kindly consult your doctor, discuss the suggestion and take the treatment with consent.

1. The first step is to improve digestion through Ashta choornam or Vaishwanara choornam or Hinguvacadi choornam or Amruthotharam kashayam.

2. Next step is to pacify the increased vata through intake of Narayana thailam one teaspoon in kashayam which I am going to explain in the third step or simply oil in hot water.

3. Pacify pitta and kapha through Varanadi kashayam, Kulathadi kashayam, and Kumaryasavam.

4. Raja pravartini vati is also effective.

5. Regular intake of sesame seeds (black) with jaggery is also a natural remedy for menstrual problems.

6. Garlic roasted in ghee is very effective for painful menstruation. Garlic should be taken three weeks before to menstruation.

7. Avoid junk, spicy, oily and fast food. Try to reduce the intake of pickles which produce water retention and cause pain during menstruation.

8. Proper sleep and stress reduction are also important.

I saw in your report that you have a cyst in the left ovary (26*26 mm) which is not dangerous and it is a simple cyst that can be managed with medication (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I think my reply will help you. If you have any doubts or complaints, please contact me. For better results, please follow the medications for one month and contact me later.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Are hair fall, skin infections, and overweight due to hypothyroidism?
Why am I having indigestion, incomplete stool evacuation and abdomen swelling?
Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

I have acidity and indigestion problem. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male, who weighs 62 kg. My stomach is swollen, and it feels as if it is filled with gas. I also have low appetite, acidity, and indigestion. I used to chew tobacco from a long time, but I quit it recently. I am an occasional drinker, and I am fond of spicy foods. I am...  Read Full »

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.