iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersSurgical OncologylipomaI have lipomas on my body. Please guide.

What are the treatments for lipoma?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Arvind Guru

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 20, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 20, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello, doctor,

I have had various lipomas for a long time, and they were all found to be non-vascular. However, in the last three to six months, I have observed a lot more, perhaps 40 or more in total. Some are shaped like spherical balls, others flat. The spherical balls burn sharply when touched. They are everywhere, with six or seven on both arms. A few on the thighs, and most behind the knee are less than 1 cm. For the past three months, I have had a low-grade temperature at night.

The doctor stated they did not feel like lipomas during the examination, but an ultrasound revealed they were. I need to know what your thoughts are and what the best approach is.

Kindly suggest.

Answered by Dr. Arvind Guru

I just read your query and understand your concern.

Lipoma is a benign lesion, although it can only be definitively distinguished from a malignant fatty lump after excision and pathological examination. However, having many lipomas throughout the body is a rather frequent condition. The majority of these are benign.

It is typically suggested that all five centimeters be removed. Less than two centimeters and not growing in the last few months can be observed (or removed only for cosmetic purposes).

Vascularity on ultrasound sonography is not a particularly specific marker. However, if one or two are suspected by a radiologist, it is preferable to perform magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) before proceeding with removal.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you want some help.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

Why is magnetic resonance imaging also needed in addition to removal?

Based on the report you see, does it appear likely it is malignant?

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Arvind Guru

I read your query and can understand your concern.

In your ultrasonography report, the examiner is not very certain. Though as per size, most should be benign lipomas. Magnetic resonance imaging may be needed before the removal of any suspicious lipoma to plan surgery properly. So overall, it may be possible for you to do nothing more than just follow up at this time, with the understanding that you may need to undergo surgery if any of them grows or changes over a couple of weeks or months. Please discuss this with your treating doctor.

I hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Arvind Guru
Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Surgical Oncology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy