Loss Of Smell

Will the sense of smell return to normal after sinusitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis without polyps 23 months ago. I had congestion, pain, pressure, loss of smell and taste, tinnitus, cough, dizziness, and eustachian tube dysfunction when it first started. My ENT said that my maxillary and ethmoid sinuses were affected, and there i...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You will be much better with the treatment that you are presently taking. It will take at least one month for the symptoms to subside. However, the sense of smell is slightly unpredictable at this stage. If these conditions are complicated with COVID-19 (Co...  Read Full »

I have chronic sinusitis without polyps. Will my sense of smell eventually return or improve?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis without polyps two years back. Then, I had congestion, pain, throbbing, postnasal drip, weak sense of smell and taste, dizziness, cough, tinnitus in my left ear, and eustachian tube dysfunction. My ENT (ear, nose, and throat specialist) gave me a...  Read Full »

Dr. Asiya Zaidi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to know that your symptoms have resolved. Most likely, you had an acute attack of sinusitis which has resolved now. I would advise you two things about your sense of smell. 1. Smell training videos can be found online. 2. Omega 3,6,9 tablets (especiall...  Read Full »

When will I get my sense of smell back after chronic sinusitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had symptoms of chronic sinusitis. My symptoms were congestion, weak sense of smell, post nasal drip, and severe pain. I have been using Budesonide rinses twice daily and all my symptoms are gone except weak sense of smell. Will my sense of smell come back? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The sense of smell is felt only when the olfactory nerve endings sitting at the top of the nose are accessible and receive aromatic vapors from the air we breathe. In Chronic rhinosinusitis, the anatomical changes in the nose can affect the air reaching the top, which is th...  Read Full »

Can I get my sense of smell back after sinusitis, or will it be permanently damaged?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had symptoms of chronic sinusitis without polyps for 24 months now. My ENT said I had mild to moderate sinusitis. My symptoms were congestion, eustachian tube dysfunction, a weak sense of smell, postnasal drip, and severe pain. I have been using Budesonide rinses twice daily, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ranjit Peter

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your clinical history and response to therapy, we can expect some improvement in the sense of smell. The fact that there is some sense of smell is favorable. However, it would be beneficial to know the status of your sinuses in terms of persi...  Read Full »

Can I get my sense of smell back after getting treated for sinus infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from symptoms of chronic sinusitis without polyps for the past 22 months. I am using Budesonide rinses twice daily, which has successfully treated my maxillary sinus infection. My ethmoid sinuses are improving too. I no longer have pain. However, I sometimes ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Prajakta Keluskar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing well. If possible, send me your CT (computed tomography) scan reports. If your sinus pathways are getting blocked, then you might encounter these problems. I can suggest you temporary medications, but it will not be a permanent cure. So, I a...  Read Full »

Does the loss of smell, cough, and fever indicate COVID even after testing negative?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother (86years) lost her smell sensation last Saturday. She had a fever, cold, cough, and headache. So we isolated her and tested for COVID-19. But the report was negative. We tested two times, and the result is negative both times. But for the last two days, my husband and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. In the current situation of the pandemic, your grandmother could be infected with the coronavirus. She might have tested negative. The reason behind this is, if the virus has reached the lungs, RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase-polymerize ...  Read Full »

When does cytokine storm occur?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I started feeling bad with dry cough and fever. I had these symptoms for three days. After that, my dry cough became a productive cough. My fever got disappeared. Instead of it, I lost my smell and I developed a tiny pain in my throat. During this period, I took antibiot...  Read Full »

Dr. Afifa Nighat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a possibility for you to have COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) as you had some typical symptoms such as fever and loss of smell initially. As a week passed already, you have entered into a comparatively safer zone. It means that th...  Read Full »

Why is there a loss of taste and smell after a head injury?

Query: Hi doctor, I met with a bus accident three months ago, and due to this, I had a head and neck injury. I, later on, discovered that I lost my sense of smell. It did affect my taste buds too. I can only taste salt and spice. I started feeling like I am choking on food substances (most times, it feels...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for explaining in detail regarding the problem in concern. Loss of smell post head injury is mostly due to damage to the olfactory region due to trauma. As a result, the uptake of odor molecules and their effective transmission to the brain will be hampered causing...  Read Full »

How can I get my smell back after a sinus infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had chronic sinusitis for 18 months now. My ENT said I do not have polyps and have a mild disease, but I have serious problems with my sense of smell. I do not have asthma or allergies, and my ENT said surgery is not necessary in my case. With my medical treatments, the vast major...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will be with you in minutes.  Read Full »

How can I get my sense of smell back after a sinus infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have chronic sinusitis without polyps (CRSsNP) and have it for 1.5 years without a break in symptoms. It started with a weak sense of smell, severe congestion, postnasal drip, cough, severe pain, tinnitus, and eustachian tube dysfunction. My question is, is it possible for chronic sinu...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.As per your concerns, yes, it is possible to recover and maintain an almost normal sense of smell. It is important to know the cause of chronic rhinosinusitis and treat it accordingly. Some patients may experience difficulty fully recover. Your sense of smell may take fe...  Read Full »