Q. I have brown patches on my neck which comes off as dead skin. What is it?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have brown patches all around my neck and on my chest. On closer inspection these patches are actually made up of small brown or black spots. On my chest, they feel rough and have a matt texture. On my neck they are pretty much noticeably raised from the skin surface if I feel it with my hand. After a bath, if I rub them with my hand very thoroughly or if I scratch them with my nails when wet, they come off pretty much like dead skin. There are loads of skins that I shed when I do that. It does get lighter and much less noticeable, but never gets removed. They grow back in just two to three days. I have had this issue for more than two years now. I tried taking antifungals and applied Fluconazole cream for a week, but nothing seemed to help. I have been to quite a few dermatologists who seemed to have different opinions. I read it could be pityriasis versicolor. Please help me.

#

• What is the complaint in them? Is it itching, burning or painful?
  • Have you taken treatment for Pityriasis versicolor?

Revert back with the asked details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

No, there is no pain or itching. I have taken antifungals both topical and oral, but it did not help.

#

• You might be suffering from macular amyloidosis (eruption of brown or gray pigmented macules).
  • Go for punch biopsy of the lesion for confirmation of diagnosis. It will also rule out the presence of any other thing with similar presentation like pityriasis versicolor.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|