Q. My 4-year-old son has small penis of about 5 cm during erection. Should I consult endocrinologist?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am concerned that my son might have a micro-penis. He is nearly four years old and looks half the size of other boys. I have seen the charts on size and stretched penis length, but as he is not circumcised, I am unsure of what to stretch and what is foreskin? I did read that stretched penile length and erect length is similar in adults. Is this the same in children? Because when he has an erection, the size looks to be around 5 cm. His testes and penis seems to suck up a lot too, so not sure if he just suffers from shrinkage or if I should get referral from endocrinologist?

#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your son is still 4 years old and it is still quite premature to feel that he has micro-penis. It takes sometime around puberty to see a considerable increase in the penile and testicular length. So it is too early to reach a conclusion. Nonetheless, you can have an actual physical examination by your nearest doctor. Please do not attempt to stretch anything by yourself. Apparently he looks normal to me so rest assured.

I am worried about him. Is there any correlation between stretched and erect length? Do you have any insight on this? If it correlates for children too?

#

As to what you have mentioned it does not co-relate with children. It is usually measured erect only.

|