Q. Can a migraine and a tension-type headache coexist?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
Published on Sep 13, 2017

In short, I have a baby who is now 9 months old. I have started having a visual aura (fortification spectrum) and migraine around two months ago. The aura was almost always on the left side of the vision and the headache (which was quite mild), was on the right side of my head, at the back of my head (occipital area). One day after the migraine, I could feel pain at the back of my head on the right, whenever I leaned forward or shook my head, and then it would go away. I have had around seven episodes so far.

Often, between migraine episodes, I also had tension-type headaches which might have been from stress, I do not know. It felt like a bad ache around my head and occasionally, sharp pains in various areas. There was no pain with movement or exertion. I had an MRI (+MRA) one month ago, which found nothing of concern. However, it was done without contrast as they said that the technician decides if the contrast is needed.

In the last few days, I have started having this pain at the back of my head, on the left side (not on the right like I have with the migraine), whenever I bend over or strain when bending over. It is around the occipital area and a bit lower as well. I can also feel it when I shake my head. It is a sharp pain. It started after I went to an aerobics class. I have just started working out again. I am not sure if it is related. It has not gone away though, and I can sometimes feel discomfort and slight pain with various movements as well.

I am really stressed out about this. I keep having these headaches and these symptoms (aura) which I have never had in my life, and I am worried and feel overwhelmed and cannot take proper care of my baby. I am always checking myself and shaking my head. I am worried that they might have missed a tumor with the MRI because it did not have contrast. I read that this kind of localized pain on movement and straining can indicate a tumor. What do you think I have? Can it be related to something other than a tumor? What should I do?

#

• This looks like it is related to a subconscious anxiety and stress. It does not look like a migraine. However, the aura and the previous headache are classical of a migraine.
  • As your baby is 9 months old, you must be breastfeeding her. So, we will avoid any migraine prophylaxis at present.
  • And to answer your question, I am very much certain that an MRI does not miss a tumor even if a contrast is not given. So, there is absolutely no need to worry.
  • It is this worry that is the root cause of your problems. So, let us deal with it one by one. I suggest the following:
  1. Proper and regular sleep.
  2. Healthy diet.
  3. Regular exercise in moderation.
  4. Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg SOS for severe headaches.
  5. Mindfulness meditation.

All this will work wonders. Take care.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First tell me in detail about your headache to help you in better way. What is the quality of your headache? Is it either pulsatile which means tis-tis or squeezing or aching? Do you have any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, facial swelling, difficulty ...  Read Full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinod Kumar Goyal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yoga is of two types. One for physical exercises called asanas and the second one is meditational yoga. Both have tremendous benefits for life and health. Physical yoga regulates body glands, hormones and cures many diseases of the body. For different persons and condit...  Read Full