Q. How can I cure muscle spasms and pain in back, neck and leg?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Mar 14, 2018

I am a 41-year-old male. I have been experiencing muscle spasms and pain in the back, neck, and leg since 10 years intermittently. I am currently undergoing physical therapy and chiropractic. However, I wanted to consult from a naturopathic perspective on what can be the root cause of these problems. I have undergone medical tests, blood test and urine test. Everything indicates normal parameters. Body weight and height ratio is normal as well. I do moderate or light exercises and consume healthy diet and multivitamin. However, I have been plagued by muscle sprains or spasms. Sometimes on feet or leg and other times on back or neck. I am looking for a solution to this problem.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

I looked at your laboratory report, and that is absolutely within the normal range (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I wonder whether your occupation or daily activities cause more stress to your neck and back muscles. If so, you may reduce giving stress by that activities. For example, if you sit and work on laptop continuously, neck muscle get stressed. In that case, relax neck in between. You may take help from physiotherapist to relax those muscles.

The other chance is chair and bed. You need to maintain the straight back spine while sitting and sleeping. Sitting straight (no bending the back forward) is important. Choose a chair that makes your spine erect and sit. Keep the neck straight. Even people having a belly, the spine bends to produce back pain. If your back is already not straight, then use pillow support while sitting. While sleeping, please make sure the bed is not having the cushion effect to make pits against your back. It should be the flat and hard, which will maintain the natural spine alignment/posture.

Avoid pillow to head. Raising head by pillow will cause more stretch-stress to neck muscles. Keep small round pillow around the neck that needs support. You may also take a small towel to roll and keep under the neck, at any cost the head should not be raised. This is how you can prevent neck, hand and back pain associated with irregular posture. Yoga also helps in relieving back and neck muscle stress.

Before going to bed, you can apply aromatic oils or herbal pain relieving oils to back and neck. Do self-massage with hands. Then apply hot water to it. This heat application at night will prevent morning stiffness or pain.

Each joint is capable of moving in different direction, but in day-to-day life we do limited movements. If you start the yoga practice, that enables all joints to be moved in all possible directions, thus reduce the pain due to non-using the joint.

The next possibility is cervical and lumbar spine degeneration, that leads to local structural alteration which will compress the nerves to cause pain. If any issues with intervertebral discs (bulging, prolapse or inflammation), that also compress the nerves to cause pain. These can be diagnosed by X-ray or CT scan. If you consult an orthopedic physician, they will diagnose. If this is the cause of your pain, then physiotherapist can give appropriate therapy.

For more information consult a naturopathy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/naturopathy-specialist

Please suggest yoga asanas that would improve blood flow to testicles.

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest me the yoga names to improve blood flow to the testicles. I have weak erections, watery semen, and loss of libido. I am taking Pantogem DSR for indigestion and Stalopam plus for stress. My local doctor prescribed these medicines.  Read Full »

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now