Narcolepsy

Are my symptoms due to the nine different drugs I take?

Query: Hi doctor, I am just sitting, and suddenly I drop whatever is in my hand, and my head goes down. I do this several times a day. What is wrong with me? I take nine different drugs, but I have been on all for a long time; this just started three months ago.  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What is more, it seems to get worse gradually, so we are talking about a neurological condition that makes your hand and head drop several times a day. The most likely conditions which can cause this kind of symptoms are some not so common forms of epilepsy or narcoleps...  Read Full »

Why do I talk to my loved ones in sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, In the middle of my sleep, I feel like I have virtually talked to my close one. Suddenly, when I awake, I realize that he is not beside me. Why am I getting such feel?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand what you are feeling after this strange situation where you found yourself talking to your loved one in the midst of the sleep and then you just woke up. This is quite a normal sleep phenomenon in most of the people and research shows that everyone...  Read Full »

I take Adderall with Lexapro for major depressive disorder. Is there any alternate for Lexapro?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently on Adderall 30 mg twice a day for narcolepsy with cataplexy and Lexapro 20 mg for resistant major depressive disorder. My previous psychiatric nurse practitioner tried me on many antidepressants that did not work. Lexapro helps some but not much at all. I have very bad an...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you have been tried on several different types of antidepressants already but did not help. Since you are on Adderall for treating narcolepsy, taking antidepressants will potentially lead to an increase in side effects. This applies to all SSRIs (select...  Read Full »

Why do I get irresistible sleep attack during day time with sleep paralysis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have daily sleep attacks during the day (irresistible sleep attacks) and before I fall to sleep I see things like I am dreaming but I knew I am awake. At night, before I fall asleep I have multiple episodes of sleep paralysis. Sometimes in every morning, I have sleep attacks and I f...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irresistible sleep attacks during daytime are called narcolepsy. They are usually considered harmful and should be treated with stimulant drugs. Amphetamines are used to treat them. Sleep paralysis is also treated with antidepressant medicines and Benzodiazepines. U...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with narcolepsy. How to confirm it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 17-year-old with height 5'8" and weight 118. My doctor has clinically diagnosed me with narcolepsy. He said that I show every sign and symptom I did not meet the requirements on the MSLT. He believes that I still have it. He did blood work, and my iron and vitamin C came back low....  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most of the diagnosis is made based on the patient's history of complaints, examination done by the doctor and supported by investigations. The investigations most of the time play a crucial role for example if I suspect diabetes in a patient and his blood sugar test...  Read Full »

I dream strange things during sleep paralysis. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I have started having sleep paralysis four years back. Back then, I was able to open my eyes and was not able to move my body and speak. Whenever I used to have sleep paralysis, I used to see people torturing me. As if they are trying to harm and kill me. When I first had sleep paralysi...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be frightening to experience sleep paralysis but generally it is not harmful and can occur in otherwise healthy people. It is common to have hallucinatory experiences like seeing people who wish to harm you when you have sleep paralysis. Do you have any other ...  Read Full »

I have been facing excessive sleeping. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been facing excessive sleeping for the last two weeks. Even after having a sound sleep for 6 to 8 hours at night I find it difficult to wake up. I feel sleepy all day long. If I think of taking a nap in the afternoon, then it again lasts for 3 to 4 hours and aga...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the symptoms I feel sorry for your health condition. It is bothersome for sure. The causes may be depression or anxiety, thyroid disease, lack of motivation or aim ahead in life and sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep apnea syndrome is that no matter how long you sleep at ni...  Read Full »

My son is feeling sleepy all the time. What is his problem?

Query: Hi doctor,My son of 23 years is feeling sleepy all the time, walks while sleeping, sleeps while standing and falls asleep while traveling in a car. He has concentration problems and very irritable. He is overweight. Of late, even his speech is not very clear. What is the problem? Which specialty doc...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does he snore? Is he having problems like interrupted sleep, morning headaches? Is his TSH normal? Most likely, he is having sleep apnea. It is a condition characterized by temporary cessation of respiration in sleep leading to interrupted sleep, low oxygen levels in bloo...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking Adderall for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 29 year old boyfriend, who weighs 190 lbs and 6 feet tall, he is a former athlete in college. He was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia through the spinal tab, five years ago. He is now taking Adderall 60 mg a day total, spread over six times, and is using Flumazenil cream, wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Idiopathic hypersomnia is a sleep disorder even less common than narcolepsy, a rare sleep disease. The biggest distinguishing characteristics include differences in REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, the absence of cataplexy (a sudden weakness in the muscles while fully co...  Read Full »

Which of my two specialists should I listen to?

Query: Hello doctor, I have ADD and narcolepsy as well. I have not been on any medications for either. I consulted a sleep specialist and psychiatrist in two weeks separately. I have taken Phentermine 37.5 in the past for weight loss which did not work. I would take two pills and still be tired and go to s...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Phentermine is a stimulant drug, but its use is mainly limited to weight loss. If that does not work for you, it does not mean that other drugs will not work. If you have been diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) and you have narcolepsy,¬†then other stimulan...  Read Full »