Q. I have severe pain in my neck and upper back due to seatbelt injury. What is the treatment?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Oct 21, 2019

I recently met with an accident. I have severe pain in my neck and upper back. It is a seatbelt injury. It is keeping me awake at night. What should I do?

I did CT and x-ray.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

It is a whiplash injury, as you have mentioned. You can apply a cervical collar for the stability of your neck. Remove the collar during the night and wear it during the day time. You can go for isometric exercises (hold both palms on the forehead, then try to push your head forward while resisting with your palms). Repeat the same exercise with hands at the back of your head, i.e., on your occipital region. Do not apply overpressure, and it should be done slowly, repeating ten times, twice daily. Apply hot water bag at the back of the neck and upper shoulder region twice. Avoid driving for some days, avoid sitting for a long time, and use soft pillows during sleep.

How to check if the blood circulation to the head and neck is fine?

Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands,¬†upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned pain and numbness in your upper limbs after manipulation was done by a physical therapist. You have also mentioned both upper limb involvement which is actually a surprise because normal spinal manipulations should not actually lead to this especia...  Read Full

Why is there neck pain on turning to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. I feel that there could be some facet irritation that can lead to this restriction and pain on your left side of the neck. Do not worry. I suggest you to kindly use a neck pillow or support your neck properly while sleeping. At least make su...  Read Full

Can injury to cervical region cause irritation in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on the left side on cervical region almost two years from now. MRI does not show any injury or significant stenosis but the electromyography shows left moderate radiculopathy C5-C8 and recent results showed deterioration. Symptoms also still exist on left arm and trapezius b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that as there are no signs of myelopathy or spinal canal compression on MRI, there is no reason to panic about myelopathy. The pain in this region is related to the nerve damage. Physiotherapy can help improve your situation. I...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now