Q. I have severe pain in my neck and upper back due to seatbelt injury. What is the treatment?

Dr. Shakti Mishra

I recently met with an accident. I have severe pain in my neck and upper back. It is a seatbelt injury. It is keeping me awake at night. What should I do?

I did CT and x-ray.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

It is a whiplash injury, as you have mentioned. You can apply a cervical collar for the stability of your neck. Remove the collar during the night and wear it during the day time. You can go for isometric exercises (hold both palms on the forehead, then try to push your head forward while resisting with your palms). Repeat the same exercise with hands at the back of your head, i.e., on your occipital region. Do not apply overpressure, and it should be done slowly, repeating ten times, twice daily. Apply hot water bag at the back of the neck and upper shoulder region twice. Avoid driving for some days, avoid sitting for a long time, and use soft pillows during sleep.

| 

How to check if the blood circulation to the head and neck is fine?

Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »

Why is there neck pain on turning to side?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full »

Can injury to cervical region cause irritation in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on the left side on cervical region almost two years from now. MRI does not show any injury or significant stenosis but the electromyography shows left moderate radiculopathy C5-C8 and recent results showed deterioration. Symptoms also still exist on left arm and trapezius b...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now