Q. I was suggested surgery for cervical spondylosis. Should I go for it?

Published on Apr 02, 2018

I am a 53 year old female. I am cervical spondylosis patient. After MRI report, the doctor suggested an operation. Should I go with the operation or not?

MRI report:

Spine with the screening of the whole spine: Cervical spine was studied with 3 mm thin slices in the axial and sagittal plane. Both T1 and T2 weighted and gradient echo images were obtained. STIR corona images were obtained. T2 weighted sagittal whole spine screening was also performed. There is straightening of cervical spine noted. Fusion of C3 and C4 vertebral bodies is seen - postoperative status. Rest of the cervical vertebrae reveals normal marrow signal intensity. Posterior disc osteophyte complex is seen at the C4-C5 level causing left neural foramina stenosis, indentation over cord and compression upon left C5 nerve root. Posterior disc osteophyte complex is seen at the C5-C6 level causing left neural foramina stenosis and compression upon left C6 nerve root. The facet joints are unremarkable. The craniovertebral junction is unremarkable. The cord is of normal signal intensity. There is no fracture, dislocation or erosion. Paravertebral soft tissues are normal. T2 weighted sagittal whole spine screening reveals intervertebral discs are of reduced signal intensity on T2 weighted images at all lumbar levels suggestive of disc desiccation. Disc bulges are seen from D5-D6 and L4-L5 levels.

Impression:

Cervical spondylosis as described above. Posterior disc osteophyte complex at C4-C5 level causing left neural foramina stenosis, indentation over cord and compression upon left C5 nerve root. Posterior disc osteophyte complex at C5-C6 level causing left neural foramina stenosis and compression on left C6 nerve root.

More details about the presenting complaint:

Currently feeling numbness in left hand 60 % and in right hand 40 %.

Previous history of the same issue:

Operation for cervical spondylosis was carried out 10 years back for C3-C4.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

If there is persistent numbness in the hands in cervical radiculopathy, then surgery is indicated. As you have mentioned that you have significant numbness, and your MRI reports also suggest the same, you should consider getting a surgery done.

Till then you can be started on Duloxetine and Pregabalin along with cervical collar. In case your symptoms improve significantly with the mentioned medicine you may defer the surgery.

I hope it helps you.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I am using Duloxetine and Pregabalin for the last six months along with a cervical collar but still, there is numbness in the hand. There is no pain only numbness. Should I go for the operation as suggested by my doctor?

#

In that case, you should go for surgery.

If you have any further query please ask me.

Can injury to cervical region cause irritation in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on the left side on cervical region almost two years from now. MRI does not show any injury or significant stenosis but the electromyography shows left moderate radiculopathy C5-C8 and recent results showed deterioration. Symptoms also still exist on left arm and trapezius b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that as there are no signs of myelopathy or spinal canal compression on MRI, there is no reason to panic about myelopathy. The pain in this region is related to the nerve damage. Physiotherapy can help improve your situation. I...  Read Full

Why am I getting radiating pain on my chest, shoulders and neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having pain around my esophagus, upper chest area as well as the bones under the eyes. The pain is radiating from upper chest to the shoulders. I am also having some memory problem. This has been slowly getting worse over a period of a couple of years. I can feel the pain on t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pattern of pain you are describing is most probably due to any one of the following. Nerve irritation known as cervical radiculopathy that is due to compression or irritation of a nerve root of the neck. This might be associated with numbness. Disc herniation in the l...  Read Full