Q. How to rule out neck pain and numbness?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go away when I sit for 5-10 minutes. Because of this, I am unable to sleep properly. I want to get Doppler ultrasound of arteries and veins. Please suggest which Doppler ultrasound I should get to rule out the possibility of any obstruction in arteries or veins caused by several jerks, trauma to my neck and rest of the spine that might be causing problem with blood circulation. My whole spine MRI screening shows disc protrusion at L4/5 and L5/S1. Cervical area does not show any significant change. Please help.

Do you have a question on Neck Pain or Angiogram?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

MBBS., DNB (ORTHOPAEDICS)., DIP SICOT ( BELGIUM)., MNAMS., SPINE FELLOWSHIP,AARHUS UNIVERSITY,DENMARK
Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery

You have mentioned pain and numbness in your upper limbs after manipulation was done by a physical therapist. You have also mentioned both upper limb involvement which is actually a surprise because normal spinal manipulations should not actually lead to this especially if your cervical spine MRI is fine.

To actually find out a cause for both your upper limb symptoms, a detailed neurological examination of both your upper limbs including assessment of motor power, sensory examination and evaluation of deep tendon reflexes, nerve conduction studies and CT angiogram of carotid and vertebral vessels can be done.

There is an entity called as thoracic outlet syndrome which can actually lead to your upper limb symptoms, but bilateral involvement is not very common. Can you kindly send me the above mentioned details along with the investigations done by you till now? I can see and advise you accordingly. Also send me your blood investigations done recently as well.

Will be based upon the investigation and clinical details as provided.

I have numbness in my left foot.What could have caused this?
Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned numbness in the inner part of the left foot as your main symptom. Most commonly numbness is a manifestation of a nerve involvement, it can be compression of the nerve at an anatomical site like in back or anywhere along the course of the nerve or it ...  Read Full »

I feel numbness in penis. Is it due to nerve impingement?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »
Dr. Raman Tanwar
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a localized numbness that we are bothered with. Disease starting from this region without any other associated symptoms is quite rare and without them we may not think of a systemic pathology right away. Have you tried nerve tonics? I suggest back strength...  Read Full »

Can you give me a medical opinion on CT angiogram?
Query: Hello doctor, Please, could you give your medical opinion on the following CT angiogram? My query would be for you to look at the jugular veins which are near C1 in the neck. Symptoms have progressed over the course of four years, dizziness, neck pain, chronic headache, and collapse. The report ha...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please upload your CT angiogram images. I need to go through all the images in your CD DVD and will have a detailed look at the vessels near the C1 vertebra area including the jugular veins. Regards. Revert with more information to a radiologist online --> https:...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now