Q. How to rule out neck pain and numbness?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Published on Mar 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2019

A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go away when I sit for 5-10 minutes. Because of this, I am unable to sleep properly. I want to get Doppler ultrasound of arteries and veins. Please suggest which Doppler ultrasound I should get to rule out the possibility of any obstruction in arteries or veins caused by several jerks, trauma to my neck and rest of the spine that might be causing problem with blood circulation. My whole spine MRI screening shows disc protrusion at L4/5 and L5/S1. Cervical area does not show any significant change. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

You have mentioned pain and numbness in your upper limbs after manipulation was done by a physical therapist. You have also mentioned both upper limb involvement which is actually a surprise because normal spinal manipulations should not actually lead to this especially if your cervical spine MRI is fine.

To actually find out a cause for both your upper limb symptoms, a detailed neurological examination of both your upper limbs including assessment of motor power, sensory examination and evaluation of deep tendon reflexes, nerve conduction studies and CT angiogram of carotid and vertebral vessels can be done.

There is an entity called as thoracic outlet syndrome which can actually lead to your upper limb symptoms, but bilateral involvement is not very common. Can you kindly send me the above mentioned details along with the investigations done by you till now? I can see and advise you accordingly. Also send me your blood investigations done recently as well.

Will be based upon the investigation and clinical details as provided.

| 

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full »

Can you give me a medical opinion on CT angiogram?

Query: Hello doctor, Please, could you give your medical opinion on the following CT angiogram? My query would be for you to look at the jugular veins which are near C1 in the neck. Symptoms have progressed over the course of four years, dizziness, neck pain, chronic headache, and collapse. The report ha...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now