Q. What is the reason for neck pain on turning to side?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Published on Nov 16, 2018

I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

I have read your concern. I feel that there could be some facet irritation that can lead to this restriction and pain on your left side of the neck. Do not worry. I suggest you to kindly use a neck pillow or support your neck properly while sleeping. At least make sure you support the neck curvature with a rolled towel. Keep icing frequently over the painful area. Drink water adequately. Hydration will help relax muscles. Have proper sleep. Avoid stress. Gentle massage over your neck help reduce stiffness and pain. Mild gentle stretching of the neck help maintains range. Revert back to me once pain comes down to suggest you strengthening program.

Cervical Spondylosis: Wear and Tear of Neck Joints

Article Overview: This article discusses cervical spondylosis and the role of physiotherapy in cervical spondylosis. Read Article

Dr. Saswati Nanda
Spine Health Specialist

The word ''osis'' means degeneration. So, cervical spondylosis is the degeneration of the cervical (neck) spine that usually involves the lower cervical spine. Disc degeneration occurs with the loss of mucopolysaccharide and proportionately the water content of the collagen fibers. The disc height i...  Read Article

Why am I having stiff neck with cervical pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I had X-ray done for shoulder bone. This was after a stiff neck and constant pain in the cervical region for the last six months. I did not take any medication. Also, there was a fracture in the lower back four years back.  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now