Q. Why does my wife have severe back pain after normal delivery?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Hello doctor,

My wife delivered a baby boy last month, which was a normal delivery. Whenever she moves, the muscles on the upper right ribs below the breast gets pulled. Also, she has a severe lower back ache, which is unbearable. Can you please suggest some medicines for it? For now, we are putting an ointment for the back pain. She is currently taking Gemcal plus (twice a day), an iron tablet, and Sofinox cream for the stitches to get dry. My wife is 29 years old, weighs 45 kg, and is 5.2 feet tall. Regards.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The back pain post-delivery is mainly related to lack of calcium, inadequate rest, and poor hydration. Please see to it that you take calcium supplements and calcium-rich food.
  • Take plenty of fluids. The back pain and catch in the ribs could also be related to faulty breastfeeding practices. Please see to it that you take correct back support and relax your body completely before every feed, keep a pillow on your lap, and the angle of your hand should support the baby's body and neck.
  • Do not bend and lean over while breastfeeding that can also cause such problems. I suggest taking Dolo (Paracetamol) 650 mg, thrice a day for five days. It will not have any side effects.

If you have doubt, then get back to me. Take care.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks for the reply. Can I apply Volini spray or gel on the affected area? Is hot water bag good for this? Also, her treating gynecologist had suggested Combiflam for any pain. Should we continue with Combiflam or start Dolo 650 mg? Regards.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Both medications are the same, so you can take anyone. Yes, you can use hot water bag and spray as well. She will be fine, do not worry. Take care.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|