Q. How is psychotherapy used in the treatment for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD)?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive–compulsive disorder). How can it be treated by psychotherapy?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

As you might be aware, OCD is a chronic, relapsing, and debilitating disorder.

It has four themes of manifestation that decides the nature of treatment likely to be effective. So, to determine which form of therapy is more suitable for you, a psychiatrist can guide you after having a complete assessment.

Regarding psychotherapy, the most commonly used technique in the psychological treatment of OCD is exposure and response prevention (ERP). This is a psychological method which involves exposing a patient to an anxiety-provoking situation and then stopping them engaging in their usual safety behavior. This helps them confront their anxiety, and the habituation leads to the eventual extinction of the response. So, if you are interested in the treatment of your problem, kindly contact any efficient local psychiatrist or book for an online therapy cum counseling at icliniq.

Hope it helps.

|