Q. How is psychotherapy used in the treatment for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD)?

I am suffering from OCD (Obsessiveā€“compulsive disorder). How can it be treated by psychotherapy?

Do you have a question on Psychotherapy or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY
Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology

As you might be aware, OCD is a chronic, relapsing, and debilitating disorder.

It has four themes of manifestation that decides the nature of treatment likely to be effective. So, to determine which form of therapy is more suitable for you, a psychiatrist can guide you after having a complete assessment.

Regarding psychotherapy, the most commonly used technique in the psychological treatment of OCD is exposure and response prevention (ERP). This is a psychological method which involves exposing a patient to an anxiety-provoking situation and then stopping them engaging in their usual safety behavior. This helps them confront their anxiety, and the habituation leads to the eventual extinction of the response. So, if you are interested in the treatment of your problem, kindly contact any efficient local psychiatrist or book for an online therapy cum counseling at icliniq.

Hope it helps.

Do people with OCD need to continue medicines throughout their life?
Query: Hello doctor, I need your help regarding OCD disease. It looks like my fiancee is having this problem and she has been suffering a lot since last month. I am seeing sudden changes in her behavior like getting sad, no feelings, and changes in the mood so frequently. She does not want to go outside a...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) drugs from SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) group such as Fluoxetine 20 mg to start then up to 80 mg or more or Fluvoxamine and psychotherapy are helpful. These drugs are prescription only drugs. Also, you have to ...  Read Full »

Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since I was a child, and I did not know that I have this type of sickness until I read about it on internet. And now I am 27 years old. I need to ask you whether I can take a medicine by myself (Prozak or alternative). My symptoms...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting a query at icliniq. First of all I would like to inform you that OCD like symptoms occur in various disorders other than OCD itself. And the management of different disorders varies according to etiology. Regarding your question about self treatment, I would suggest against...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now