Obstructive Sleep Apnea

What is the connection between sleep deprivation and over weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having sleepless nights for about a few months. Even if I get six to eight hours sleep at night, sometimes less than five, I always end up being tired throughout the day. I am always sleepy even if I drink coffee, but when I decide to get some sleep, I cannot sleep. I am ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are concerned as sleep is vital for a proper functioning of the body. We need to look at a few things like have you gained weight recently or does this coincide with the sleep disturbances you have been suffering from? As I can see you are overweight an...  Read Full »

I get violent diaphragm convulsion during sleep. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Last night during sleep, I was awoken by a violent diaphragm convulsion. I felt a sensation of being drawn down into a cold dark blackness. It was very much disturbing and I felt like I was going to die. I had benign arrhythmias with follow up Holter monitor and stress test revealed no si...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you have been investigated for arrhythmia - paroxysmal (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but my main concern here would be obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). There is a scoring system that we use to stratify your risk for OSA. Please provi...  Read Full »

Please evaluate my CBC report to help me understand my health condition.

Query: Hello doctor, Please examine my heath checkup report with the CBC report extensively and help me to understand my present health condition.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All and all it looks very good but I have a few questions if you can answer them: Do you have any one in the family with heart attack? If yes who were they and what were there ages? Did so...  Read Full »

I have fatigue due to obstructive sleep apnea. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old man. I have suffered for two years with chronic, nearly debilitating fatigue. Doctors initially suspected a vitamin deficiency or autoimmune illnesses as the cause, but all tests came back negative or normal. However, when I started this summer to notice myself waki...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

General Practitioner, Family Physician, Preventive Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your medical history it looks like sleep apnea with obstruction. We all can agree that it is a disorder which takes away the quality of life and it is very frustrating at times. Good news is that you have been diagnosed so early. Current treatment with CPAP is th...  Read Full »

Why do I wake up tired and with a headache every day?

Query: Hi, I sleep at 10 PM at night and get up at 7 AM. I am getting adequate sleep. But for the last few days, I wake up very tired in the morning and this is causing me to sleep in office. Please give me advice regarding this.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting a query at icliniq. The problem you described can be caused by multiple factors. One of them is subclinical viral infection that wisely affects during change of season. This is generally also associated with generalized myalgia, easy fatigability and decreased interest in work...  Read Full »

Can sinus and turbinate problems cause breathing difficulties?

Query: Hi doctor, Operation for supraglottic collapse, laryngomalacia last year, increasing difficulty in breathing and swallowing for four years, supposed to have operation on maxillary sinus right ethmoid and CT scan of paranasal sinuses, was meant to have submucous diathermy of inferior turbinates, and...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I personally feel you have been having chronic obstructive sleep apnea at different levels. However, the symptoms of difficulty in opening your mouth and yawning can be related to the temperomandibular joint. The other symptoms such as weakened chest moments causing dis...  Read Full »

If routine and culture urine tests are normal, is chlamydia and gonorrhea test necessary?

Query: Hello doctor, If a persons routine and culture urine test is normal, does he have to do separate tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea? The patient has headaches and sleepiness throughout the day and burning sensation in urine at times.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, not needed if there is no pus cells on routine examination. This also depends whether one is having symptoms or not. Occasional burning usually occurs due to dehydration and most of the times this burning is also associated with yellow urine which further suggest...  Read Full »

What causes involuntary puffing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. A month back, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have enclosed my report here. I feel breathless at night while lying down and I was advised it as because of sleep apnea. I have been trying to use a CPAP. For past two months I am experiencing breathlessness on...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in detail. Please find my observations below. There is a probability of having a parasomnia which is defined as sleep disorders that involve abnormal movements and features like...  Read Full »

Is there any test to diagnose chronic body pain associated with movement?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old man with undiagnosed chronic body pain associated with movement. Sed rate and CRP in normal range, uric acid level tested after a bout of kidney stones last year, but that was also in normal range. Is there any tests you could suggest to my attending? Please advi...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The normal ESR and CRP essentially rules out inflammatory conditions. Uric acid levels, if high, can lead to joint pains, not body pains. Based on you height and weight, your body mass index is 37.3. This is considered morbid obesity. People with high BMIs can have...  Read Full »

A male with muscle spasms is tired and sleepy throughout the day. What could this be?

Query: Hello doctor,This is regarding a male aged 48 with high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, and overweight. He has muscle spasms or shakes, drops things because of this, cannot stay awake during the day. It affects his driving and family life. He can nap for a few hours and when he gets up falls ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is clear that he has obstructive sleep apnea which causes interrupted sleep during the night due to obstruction of the nasopharyngeal air flow. As a consequence, he becomes sleepy in the daytime. Confirmation of the diagnosis requires: Polysomnography. Over th...  Read Full »