Oral Cancer

Is leukoplakia curable?

Query: Hello doctor, My father went to a dentist as he had white patches in his gums and mouth. The dentist told that it is an oral leukoplakia. He asked him to stop smoking immediately. It is a serious condition which can turn into cancer. He advised stopping smoking for three months. After that, he ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Leukoplakia is a premalignant lesion. This means that it is not cancer yet and can be reversed. And hence there is no need to worry about staging. If your father stops smoking, it should regress with time. And later if required, some medication can be given to further ...  Read Full »

What are the first signs of oral cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been very worried about my health lately. I would like to preface this by saying that I have been experiencing anxiety off late and I have a suspicion that some of these symptoms could be related to that. I am currently weaning off of Prednisone, which I have been taking for an all...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. I want to clarify details regarding who advised you to start Prednisone, and for how long have you been on it as this a drug which suppresses your immunity and causes a secondary infection. Care should be taken before...  Read Full »

There is a zit on my tongue. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am 49 years old and have this white pimple kind of thing on my tongue (left side) since quite some time (more than two months). It is not causing me any symptoms or any discomfort. I also have not noticed any increase in size or any other changes. I do not drink, smoke or use tobacco. Ho...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the proper detailed history and the appropriate clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since you are not a tobacco or alcohol user the chance of oral cancer is ruled out. Now a few types or differential diagnosis are left. Lie bum...  Read Full »

What is the bump on the underside of the tongue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have developed a large, hard lump on the underside of my tongue. It is grayish white in color and does not hurt at all. It feels like a hard ball in my tongue. Also, I have other small red bumps. I do not know how long they have been there and I just noticed it before two days. These ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hard lump under your tongue is mostly inflammation which usually gets very hard due to the structure of tongue. The bumps are formed when the inflamed tongue presses against the teeth causing that particular pattern.The inflammation of tongue usually becomes very h...  Read Full »

Why do I have black spots on my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having black spots on the tongue. What might be the cause for it?  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Black spots on the tongue might be due to: Hyperpigmentation of the tongue (present since birth) for which you need not worry. Exposure to any chemicals. Tongue piercing. Scar due to any oral surgical procedures. An initial stage of a condition called hairy tongu...  Read Full »

I have tonsil stones, sore throat, and swollen gums, with dry cough. Should I worry about oral cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tonsil stones, sore throat, swollen gums, and dry cough. Is this the symptoms of oral or throat cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A recurrent sore throat can occur in a number of pathologies. Most often it is as a result of some local pathology like Rhinosinusitis, nasopharyngitis, tonsillitis, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux). Rather than relapsing and rec...  Read Full »

Kindly give some insight on how everyday habits affect the teeth.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Smoking adversely affects the gum health as the gum disease becomes less apparent in smokers and they show symptoms once the condition becomes severe. Secondly, it can cause pigmentation leading to smoker's melanosis (brown to black pigmentation of gums). Other ill effe...  Read Full »

Please suggest whether unhealed mouth sore is the first sign of oral cancer.

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in some tooth on the right side of the jaw. I went to a dentist, and the doctor did an X-ray. The dentist concluded that it is probably due to clenching or grinding of the tooth. He suggested me a mouthguard. I have given impressions for a mouth guard. But still, I have mild ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a well indurated mucosal ulcer. Being oral cancer is unlikely. Please mention about your habits regarding tobacco chewing or any other habit. Generally, oral ulcer takes three...  Read Full »

Is whole body PET scan required to check the spread of tongue cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 65 years old and in excellent health. He is a diabetic and also has BP. But, his sugar levels and BP are very much in control. He is taking oral medication for both diabetes and BP. He is taking Telvas 20 mg for BP, Gluconorm for diabetes and taking thyroid medication for hyp...  Read Full »

Dr. Satya Narayan

Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, he did not need whole body PET scan now. Yes, the standardized uptake value (SUV) number indicates the probability of cancer as it increases, but it is not confirmative. The SUV number can be increased in case of infection, inflammatory condition and cancer. But, ...  Read Full »

How to confirm a cancerous lesion?

Query: Hi doctor, I have small lesion in my right tonsil. It is in the same color of other tissues in my mouth. It is a kind of slim oval shape. My dermatologist advised me to visit my physician regarding when I went for a mucous cyst removal on my lip. I visited my GP who said it is same like lip cyst, pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First thing, I would like to tell you is that on appearance it does not look like cancer. But, what you feel by fingers is more important than what you see. This means that a normal appearing smooth swelling can be a cancer especially in elderly people if it is indurated ...  Read Full »