Q. What kind of problem will arise from an extra drop of OPV?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2019

My son is 20 months old. In polio campaign he was given 3 drops of OPV instead of 2 drops. I am worried about the extra drop given. I could not find any recommendation of WHO or UNICEF for minimum and maximum dose of OPV drop in the internet. Please help me in this matter. Thank you.

#

An extra drop of OPV (oral polio vaccine) should not cause him any problem. These are live attenuated vaccine and thus virus does not cause any illness. Case report of them are very rare and usually with faulty vaccine preparation.

Also, this was his booster dose. It would only help in giving immunity to polio.

Being a parent, how do we know the preparation of vaccine is faulty or not? The Government supplied OPV vaccine was given to my child. My child's OPV vaccine details are this way. At birth, he had OPV. During 6 weeks, OPV and IPV was administered, in 10 weeks OPV and IPV was given, in 14 weeks OPV was given along with IPV and in 17th month he had IPV booster dose. On that context, I would like to know, whether my child has any chance to develop any physical problem in future?

#

Well, I am just surprised since you got IPV (inactivated polio vaccine) all through, why would you want to give OPV?

In any case, it is a safe vaccine. You could reach out to government authority who supplied this vaccine inquiring about vaccine.

Also, you could see other kids who received the same lot in your neighbor and how they are doing.

|