Q. Will using Percoset cause any side-effects?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Jan 14, 2019

If prescribed Percoset (5/325) and reversion back to regular Acetaminophen, is there even a slight chance that the oxy component of the Percoset could be triggered since Percoset side effects can be permanent even with one use?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Acetaminophen is safe compared to Percoset. Single use of Percoset never causes permanent side effects. The side effect caused by a single dose (such as loss of appetite and difficulty in emptying bladder) will be for one day only. Once the amount of drug gets excreted from the body (now drug within the body becomes less gradually), automatically the effect or side effect (mentioned above) must disappear. Only for the usage more than 3 to 5 days, may lead to more side effects. If used for more than 10 days, the permanent side effects may come. Nothing to worry about vocal card swelling. This should appear as early as possible after the drug intake as it is the drug hypersensitivity reaction. If not occurred, it is not going to happen in the future. Do not worry about Percoset side effects.

| 

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »

How long can I expect the shoulder pain to last after rotator cuff repair?

Query: Hello doctor, I had arthroscopy surgery of my right shoulder approximately five weeks ago. The surgeon repaired a rotator cuff tear, labrum tear, released one bicep tendon and did not reattach it, and subacromial decompression. The pain is still intense, and I am taking Oxycodone. I just started pas...  Read Full »

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »

Ask a Pharmacologist Now