Q. Can I take Paracetamol tablets for my severe tooth pain?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Nov 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2018

Hello Doctor,

Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?

#

If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 10 minutes. In case the pain is still there, buy Lignocaine jelly and pour some jelly on a cotton roll and put it on the infected tooth. You will get relief within minutes.

If none of these are available nearby, you can take simple Paracetamol 500 mg. Taking two Amoxicillin tablets will reduce your infection and not your pain. For pain, you have to go for an analgesic (the above-mentioned medication).

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full »

What is causing my tooth pain - cavity, broken tooth or wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having tooth pain, and I am not sure what the cause is. I do have a cavity on the top row beside my front tooth, but would that affect my bottom teeth too? The pain feels like a dull pressure, so maybe it is the wisdom teeth? I am 18, so I suppose it is possible, but I do not hav...  Read Full »

Please suggest safe painkillers for toothache.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having pain inside my mouth. At the top of my mouth, it is like a bubble and so painful. The nerves are making me having a toothache on the right side of my mouth. I have had this for three days now and took a few painkillers. Now, my stomach hurts like bloating and twitching....  Read Full »