Q. Can I take Paracetamol tablets for my severe tooth pain?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2018

Hello Doctor,

Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?

#

If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 10 minutes. In case the pain is still there, buy Lignocaine jelly and pour some jelly on a cotton roll and put it on the infected tooth. You will get relief within minutes.

If none of these are available nearby, you can take simple Paracetamol 500 mg. Taking two Amoxicillin tablets will reduce your infection and not your pain. For pain, you have to go for an analgesic (the above-mentioned medication).

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|