Q. Why is Paracetamol prescribed, if fever is an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 01, 2018

Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?

#

Very much impressed by your query. Yes as you said, fever is an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection. Most of the time Paracetamol is not needed if body temperature is not crossing >102 degree F. But any temperature >102 degree F causes many biochemical and physiological damages to the body, such as:

• The enzymes in the body will not work properly.
  • Body oxygen consumption increase causing a strain on heart.
  • Body glucose utilisation increases and this coupled with loss of appetite and less food intake will cause profound weakness.

Because of all this Paracetamol is used. But definitely not required for a low grade fever.

For further queries, consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|