Q. Can tablet Percocet cause seizures?

Dr. Deepika Gorthy
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2019

Can tablet Percocet cause seizures when taken in proper dose for pain? Will the seizures occur while I am sleeping?

Dr. Deepika Gorthy

Family Physician Microbiology
#

Percocet is a tablet with a combination of two medications namely Acetaminophen and Oxycodone. This drug is commonly prescribed for the relief of moderate to severe pain. It is advisable to use this medication only in the prescribed dosage and for the prescribed time.

The most common side effects of Percocet are:

1. Constipation.
  2. Nausea.
  3. Vomiting.
  4. Sleepiness.
  5. Dizziness.
  6. Headache.
  7. Dry mouth.
  8. Blurred vision.

However, there are a few other rare side effects like (in such cases, it is advisable to visit the doctor immediately)

1. Difficulty in breathing.
  2. Low blood pressure (dizziness/lightheadedness).
  3. Seizures (very rare)- not many reported cases.
  4. Hypertonia or muscle contraction/stiffness.

A typical seizure would be something like this: A period of unconsciousness with uncontrolled contraction and relaxation of your muscles (often all of them) along with involuntary or unconscious passage of urine and stools and may also be associated with vomiting and often associated with tongue biting. One who has suffered the episode will usually have no recollection of the event. Once the person gains consciousness, he/she feels exhausted and only a witness could provide the observation of the symptoms. There may also be injuries over the body.If a seizure occurs during sleep, then it could be life threatening as the vomitus may be aspirated into the air passage (trachea and lungs) and may cause difficulty in breathing. However, if you have observed any such symptoms, it is advisable to visit your treating doctor and get your medication reviewed.If you are sure that it is a seizure that you had, then it would be a good idea to stop the medication right away and also get a complete evaluation by your doctor to identify the cause of the seizure.

|