Pet Scan

I have pleural effusion with a mass in my lung. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case of pleural effusion with mass in the lung, the first thing any doctor should suspect tumor in the lung. There are other conditions that can cause pleural effusion like infection, inflammation, etc., but these conditions would have shown in the pleural fluid analys...  Read Full »

Can lymph node surgery prevent cancer from spreading?

Query: Hi doctor, Before two years, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and has been undergoing treatment using Eligard and Xgeva. Early this year, he got diagnosed with vallecula carcinoma and for which he underwent chemo (Erbitux) six sittings and radiation therapy for 27 days. While vallecula...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

Child Health Specialist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the details of your father's illness and I will concentrate on the present problem. I will not agree with the advise for surgery of lymph nodes as PET scan suggests that it may have spread to other areas of lung, though not confirmed. Doing surgery for dise...  Read Full »

Does tree in bud nodules in CT scan mean cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My CT scan says defined streaky opacity with associated loss volume and clustered tree in bud nodules have developed in the anterior segment of the upper left lobe. The associated central bronchi are impacted. Without an obvious mass, although a small central lesion is not excluded. The ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tree in bud appearance generally favors an infection. Can you upload your CT scan so that it may help? Do not bother about lung cancer. Revert with more information to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist  Read Full »

Can radiations from PET and CT scan affect other family members?

Query: Hello doctor, Over two years ago my eldest son was diagnosed with lymphoma. He had PET scans and CT scans. These started at the end of my last pregnancy and went on while my son was a newborn and infant. I do not remember him holding the baby, but he came home from scans and was around him. They...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Your baby is totally safe. There is radiation risk only when doing PET and CT scans. The risk is only to the patient, which means your eldest son in your case. Your newborn was never exposed to ...  Read Full »

Please interpret my PET-CT scan report taken for intermittent abdominal pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had intermittent pain in my lower left abdomen for seven months now. I had a colonoscopy as soon as the pain started in the summer, but there were no abnormalities seen. There might have been something as the doctor muttered "there is this sort of a thing here" during the colon...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

Interventional Radiologist, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I read your question, I just remembered how distressed my sister becomes when she gets similar pains, which enables me to realize your anxieties well. However, her pains have been determined to be of uterine origin. Please note that, as a radiologist, I always f...  Read Full »

To identify the stage of cancer, is a PET scan necessary?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding my relative who is suffering from carcinoma of cervix. I would kindly request you to advise us regarding the stage of cancer based on the biopsy, MRI and CT scan report which I have attached here for your reference. In her MRI report, there is a feature suggestive of...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to assure you that everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and can well understand your genuine concerns.  Read Full »

The PET scan shows metabolic activity brain appears metastatic. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, The PET scan report says that the metabolic activity brain appears metastatic. Does this confirm that the patient has advance cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Revert with more details. I need also pathological and treatment details. Usually, if brain is involved with multiple lesions, it is considered advanced malignancy.  Read Full »

Is it worthy of relying CT scan to identify liver metastasis?

Query: Hello doctor, Can a CT scan identify liver metastasis?  Read Full »

Dr. Senduran N

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, CT (computed tomography) scan can detect suspected primary tumor or metastasis in the liver. However, it is not confirmatory, a biopsy is needed to say its malignant origin if the primary tumor is not already found in other organs.  Read Full »

Is GemCarbo chemotherapy effective?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma. She was having trouble breathing due to pleural fluid buildup. As per our oncologist's suggestion we have started Gemcitabine-Carboplatin chemotherapy before 10 days. The suggested course of treatment is six cycles of chemothera...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety. By the EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) not been successful, do you mean that the test was not positive for mutations or it could not be performed due to inadequacy of the sample? Please clarify. Starting EGFR inhibitors in the absenc...  Read Full »

I am having a mass under my armpit and it is diagnosed as follicular lymphoma. Is this cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, About two months ago, I had a physical illness, and my doctor found, a mass under my right armpit. I was sent for an ultrasound needle biopsy, and blood test, and a pet test. I was told that I had follicular lymphoma stage 3. I was upset and in tears. My doctor told me, that follicula...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So I would start by saying that follicular lymphoma is most common low grade lymphoma diagnosed in this age group. Incidentally detected lump is most common way in which follicular lymphoma presents, which was in your case. After histological confirmation staging is us...  Read Full »