Physiological Twitches

Will vitamin B12 deficiency result in random twitches?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male. I am inquiring about some symptoms that I have been having for about two weeks. I have had random muscle twitches throughout the day. It seems to have started in my right biceps. Sometimes, I will feel it in my left biceps, back of my leg, and calf. I was rece...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of muscle twitches, the common ones being anxiety, low potassium and also low sodium. In fact, muscle twitches can occur despite all the parameters being normal as well. Since, you said you were admitted for low sodium level, may I ask if the do...  Read Full »

How to control the involuntary movement of lips?

Query: Hello doctor, Whenever I talked to someone face to face, my left half of the upper lip moved more than the rest of the lips. I got conscious of it. It happens more when I get conscious. I feel it is in my mind and I can totally control it but I lose patience. Some days it is better, and some days i...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand the concern behind your query. It looks like there may have been some twitching/tremors of your upper lips due to some stress, anxiety or tiredness. It appears that gradually you have been overthinking about it leading to a vicious cycle of more s...  Read Full »

Can ALS present without weakness and muscle loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried I have ALS. I had foot pain on both feet, maybe two years ago for months. Then I started having abdominal pain or spasms a year and a half ago. I noticed when my stomach hurt, my calf (right mainly) would have spasm and felt tight. I went to the ER, thinking I had a blood...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have calf muscle spasm and twitches all over the body, and you do not have weakness, loss of muscle mass and the duration of illness is around one year. Please tell me, when do you feel spasm mostly daytime or nocturnal or early in the morning? How long it conti...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my persistent twitches all over the body?

Query: Hello doctor, About one month ago, I started to get twitches all over my body. Everywhere from my toes and fingers to backs of my thighs, neck, and torso. They feel like small little zings and are present all day long. I have no idea why the twitching is happening. Things I have considered, I have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some further details about your symptoms: Are these twitches visible by eyes? Or these only felt by you without being seen by eyes? Have you noticed what triggers these twitches? Like when being more anxious, empty stomach, cold weather, smoki...  Read Full »

What could be the twitches in body with no atrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38-year-old male. I am concerned about the possibility of ALS/MND. My symptoms to my knowledge started around August 2018 whilst doing a nursing degree at university. I developed a trapped nerve in my left ulnar nerve after sitting an exam and this seemed to trigger the event...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not suggestive of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or MND (motor neuron disease). You should know that there are a lot of benign causes underlying twitching (fasciculation), including anxiety, ...  Read Full »

What can cause continuous twitches throughout the day?

Query: Hi doctor, My calves have been twitching throughout the day for about two months now. But, I do not have any weakness. It occurs in different spots on both calves. What could this be?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know a few more things. Is there any change in your weight in the last two months? Did you observe any change in your lifestyle in the last last months? Did you start any exertion during this period? 90% of the normal population experience muscle twitches,...  Read Full »

Does ALS affect both sides of the body?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 years old female. I first experienced my symptom 18 years ago, which was left-hand side symptom. I have seen two neurologists since the last visit along with MRI was seven years back. My main concern back then was MS, but the last neurologist said it is not MS. I raised my ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I can state with 100 % confidence that no ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) presents over the 18 years. It is a progressive illness and once started, there is gradual deterioration. As symptoms experienced by you are of ep...  Read Full »

Is continuous twitching worrisome?

Query: Hi doctor, I had intermittent twitching all over my body for the last two months. I finally went to see my GP and he ran a plethora of blood tests and said that my vitamin B12, iron, and vitamin D were all really low. Since starting my vitamin supplements two days ago, the twitching has subsided si...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the provided details and understand your concerns. It can be proved that your concern is really paranoid (no offense) and there is no substance for such thoughts. I mean to say that this is unfounded belief and there is no rational for at least today. ...  Read Full »