Q. Can you suggest physiotherapy treatment for plantar fasciitis and knee pain?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Sep 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2019

I am a 40 year old man. I have a foot pain which was diagnosed a few years ago as plantar fasciitis. I use shoes with special support, insoles, and cushion on the socks. I also have a pain in my right knee, especially on the inner side. I want to know if there are any exercises or stretches I can do to improve the condition. Also, can you suggest any other home treatment options for the knee and the feet? I am giving you some more details about the presenting complaint. Regarding the foot pain, I feel it early in the morning after walking or after sitting for a long period of time. And the knee pain is usually while walking. However, the condition gets worse if I walk after sitting for long periods of time as well. I have been going to the Chiropractor for a few months. The knee pain has gotten better. They have recommended hamstring stretches, quadriceps stretches, wall stretches for the calf, foot stretches and bridge exercises. For the knee pain, they have diagnosed sore muscles in the inner thigh, right above the knee and it is responding well to such treatment. Also, based on the tests they suggest my gluteal muscles are not activating fully due to prolonged sitting.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

The protocol followed by you is good. You should follow that regularly for the next one month.

For the plantar fasciitis, I suggest the following:

1. Calf muscle stretching with wall support.
  2. Dorsiflexion of the foot with pressure applied by your hand.
  3. Hot water foot immersion and active rotation, with a sidewise movement of the foot. Water should be tolerable in temperature. Do it twice a day for at least 15 minutes in each session.
  4. Try to stretch out the foot with the fanning out of the toe fingers widening it as much as possible. Widen and keep it in that position for 10 seconds and come to the normal position.
  5. Stand on your toes for a count of 20 and come back to normal. Do this for 10 times. Then, stand on your heel, count 20 and release, for 10 times (twice daily).

For the knee pain, I suggest the following:

1. Static cycling is recommended. Lie down on the bed, lift up your leg and move circularly like you would while pedaling a cycle. Repeat 15 times.
  2. Also, a moist pack is good to relieve pain.
  3. Straightening of the leg with knee extension. You can do this by sitting on a high rise table and keeping your legs in the position for 10 seconds and then bring down the leg. Do it twice daily.
  4. You can also do kegel exercise like squeezing of the gluteus muscle, keep for a count of 10 seconds and release. Do this thrice daily.

This will help ease your pain. Happy recovery.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in older adults. Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of this. Learn more about this condition here. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized to onl...  Read Article

Ask a Physiotherapist Now