Prophylaxis

As I am concerned about raccoon roundworm exposure, can I take Albenza 10 days course?

Query: Hello doctor,I am concerned about a possible raccoon roundworm exposure. I have read that I can take a prophylactic 10-day course of Albenza to keep any eggs from entering my CNS. I might have type 2 diabetes for a while and have put off bloodwork to find out. I am a glaucoma suspect based on the la...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Albendazole 400 mg single star dose is enough for prophylactic deworming. 10 days course is not required. Usually, it is very safe and is well tolerated. A rare side effect is a seizure, that can happen if the worm is already lying dormant in your CNS. I generally pr...  Read Full »

What Is The Best Course of Action For Infected Wisdom Tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lower wisdom tooth that has been infected chronically for well over a year. I also have an upper molar that is broken decayed and has been like this for years. The wisdom tooth oozes green pus if you apply pressure with a cotton swab. The decayed tooth is mildly painful. I saw my...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your complaint and the relevant details. Please do not panic relating this to death. The good thing is you do not have chills or swelling. Huge swellings that cover the entire face, jaw or neck are only dangerous. These are called space infection that keeps s...  Read Full »

Is one tablet of Septra daily, enough for my dad who has AIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 58 years old and weighs 49 kg and 5.8 feet tall. He is on ART medicine since the last 13 years. He has AIDS. He had seizures last year, so he is also taking Ecosprin 75 mg, Septran, and Eptoin daily. I have two questions. Many doctors are surprised that he is only having...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Septran (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) is an antibiotic used in AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) patient to prevent PCP (pneumocystis pneumonia) infection. It is prevention dose, that is, prophylaxis (treatment dose, which is two tablets three times a day). ...  Read Full »

Are malaria and typhoid vaccines safe for a 9 month old baby?

Query: Dear Doctor, Is it safe for a 9 month baby to travel to the Dominican Republic? Also, is it safe for a 8-9 month old to take vaccines for malaria and typhoid?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is safe to travel to Dominican Republic, but you need to care abut many issues. While traveling there are many issues related to health of your baby, example: he can get infection like malaria, typhoid, hepatitis A & E and varicella. So if you use prophylactic mea...  Read Full »

Do I need a booster for vaccines which I had in childhood?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a photographer and would likely venture into so many remote areas. I will obtain appropriate malaria prophylaxis before traveling to remote areas and have a large supply of DEET and Permethrin mosquito repellent. I want to be sure that I am up-to-date with all of my vaccines and that...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. It is good that you have taken most of the essential vaccines. I would like to suggest you to take typhoid vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine As you have taken almost all the polio doses, I think th...  Read Full »

I get palpitations often. Should I take Disprin for prophylaxis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 62 year old female. I get palpitations quite often. My blood pressure remains 130/90 with Telma 20 mg and Nebicard 2.5 mg. Also, some friends told me to take Disprin 2.8 mg for prophylaxis. Please advise if I need to take Dispirin or anything else.  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your blood pressure is fairly controlled. Continue both the medicines. Please do an ECG when you are getting palpitations. Take Calcium and Vitamin D3 tablets and Meconeuron OD (Methylcobalamin) once a day for three months. Get serum vitamin D3 and serum vitamin ...  Read Full »