Q. Is it safe to have protein shake after workout?

Dr. Swapan Banerjee
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2019

I started gym a few days ago. Can I take protein shake (whey protein) after my workout? Is it safe? I do not have any known food allergies. I have attached my anthropometry chart with BMI. I heard that protein will make the person unhealthy after stopping it. Is it true? Please suggest.

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician Fitness Expert Nutritionist
#

First of all, I must say that as per your height and weight your BMI (body mass index) is fine. Now you should start taking good quality foods enriched with protein. Once you are taking whey protein, it is like one-sided food. As you need more energy to do a workout, it is better to go for a balanced diet.

1. Take 2800 kcal/day for energy demand. In which 50%, i.e., 1400 kcal would be carbohydrates and protein initially to a maximum of 100 g/day. Rest fat will be gained from cooking oil and solid fats like butter for body mass to grow up.
  2. Take plenty of fruits around 400 g and 200 g good quality vegetables. Do not take fast/junk/ready/excess processed foods. Do not take too much of cream-based foods.
  3. Take chicken thrice a week and mutton twice a week. Take two eggs per day of good quality. Add milk and milk products to about 300 ml like sour curds, etc.
  4. Take protein rich and energetic foods like milk, chana, soy, pulses, sprouts, etc., and a lot of things can be further advised to you.

| 

Thank you doctor.

Actually, I am a vegetarian. I eat eggs. The diet which I am taking is as follows. Breakfast at 7 AM along with two boiled eggs. Two boiled eggs at 10.30 AM again. At 12.30 PM lunch along with two boiled eggs. By 4 PM two bananas and at 4:30 PM leaving to gym. After workout two boiled eggs, two bananas with 400 ml milk. Dinner at 8.30 PM. Is this diet fine? Or do I need any change? Please suggest.

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician Fitness Expert Nutritionist
#

Your diet is almost fine. But reduce your egg intake as it is more than the required amount for a day. So, take a maximum of two eggs and three bananas per day.

Take chapatti, rice, pulses, and sprouts. Your milk intake is fine. Take plant-based good proteins like soy products, etc. Take 400 g of fruits. Four pieces in each fruit like citrus and fibrous.

Take oat sometimes. Do not take outside food.

| 

What are the ways to remove acne scars?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. My weight is 50 kg and my height is 158 cm. I have severe acne scars on face, back, lower back, below the neck and pimples on face. Even after using Benzoyl peroxide there is no change. I have oily skin. I use to get severe menstrual pain up to 3 or 4 days and for which...  Read Full »

Is Nitrous oxide pre-workout supplement bad for hypothyroidism?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have hypothyroidism. My TSH level is higher than the normal range. T3 and T4 are fine. I go to the gym regularly and like to lift heavy weights. I am taking pre-workout supplement - Nitrous Oxide. I heard that this is not good for me but I want to take some pre-workout supplement. Wha...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a diet chart for a kidney transplanted patient

Query: Hi doctor, Four years before I had a kidney transplant. My weight is 79 kg and height is 164 cm. My current medication is immunosuppressant. Please explain me the diet chart.  Read Full »

Ask a Fitness Expert Now