Q. What are the ways to remove acne scars?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Nov 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 24 years old. My weight is 50 kg and my height is 158 cm. I have severe acne scars on face, back, lower back, below the neck and pimples on face. Even after using Benzoyl peroxide there is no change. I have oily skin. I use to get severe menstrual pain up to 3 or 4 days and for which I am using Meftal spas. I have breast pain mostly except the period days and few days following. Also there is a small color difference in the right breast not overall. But, the pain is not specific to this area. I get pain in both breasts. Is it just premenstrual pain or something to be concerned?

For allergy, I am using nasal spray and Allegra tablet. Back pain is present occasionally and not severe. I have hair fall and thinning of hair from scalp and dandruff problem. When I oil my hair for dryness I get more pimples. What else can I do for dry hair, hair fall and dandruff? Occasionally, I get a lump below the lower abdomen on the right side. A doctor once made me cough and tested, the lump was not formed. But, he said with symptoms it would be hernia. It follows with a mild pain there. Also, at times I feel like I have to give pressure while urinating.

Will these be a symptom for PCOS or endometriosis or any hormonal imbalance? What are the ways to help remove acne scars? Is baking soda a good choice? Or any other home remedy? I apply lemon juice on face, even baking soda, but nothing is working for the scars. I drink milk twice a day mixing Amul pro whey protein powder. Does dairy product cause acne? At times I get a burning sensation on body, especially after afternoon sleep, and also at the back of neck when my hair touches. Is that due to severe back acne scars? How can I take care of the diet for the problems concerned? Can you suggest me a good sunscreen for my skin?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

For acne, take a course of tablet Azithromycin 500 mg daily on three consecutive days in a week for four to six weeks and continue with Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel on the pimples in the morning and Adapalene gel at night on the pimples.

As far as scars are concerned, you can try using Tretinoin 0.05 percent cream on the scars at night. It will not have significant benefit, but you can give it a try. Otherwise you can consider:

• laser treatment,
  • microneedling sessions or,
  • surgical correction for the scars.

Besides this, avoid oiling of scalp, keep your face dry, avoid using creams and moisturizers and reduce the intake of sugary foods. Baking soda and lemon juice will not have any effect on acne scars. So, you can stop using them. Dairy products are known to aggravate acne, so reduce their intake.

For dandruff, use a Ketoconazole shampoo every alternate day to start with and then taper slowly once improvement is seen. Along with this, use a good quality conditioner after hair wash and start with tablet Keraglo Eva (gamma Lenolenic acid) once daily for hair fall. This needs to be continued for a minimum of three to four months.

I do not think the burning sensation is due to acne scars. You should go for La Shield sunscreen gel over your entire face at intervals of three to four hours during the daytime.

For breast changes and lump, I would recommend you to consult a surgeon as he will be able to guide you better regarding these symptoms. For back pain, consult an orthopedician and for allergy consult an ENT specialist.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a face wash, sunscreen lotion and overnight cream for oily skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old boy and my face is very oily during summer while in winters it is quite dry. In summers, a lot of oil pops out with white heads on my face. Even a short-term sun exposure tans my skin. I am also suffering from the problem of dark spots. Kindly suggest a face wash, su...  Read Full »

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article