Q. What diet can I take to increase my weight? I am lactose intolerant. Please help.

Dr. Durga Kumari
Published on Jul 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I am 29 years old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 55 kg. I take vegetables, egg, fish but not meat. I am lactose intolerant for the past three years. If I take any milk products, it causes gastritis instantly, and I have to take an antacid. I cannot take whey protein because of this. I am taking soy protein powder since last month. I have tea twice and coffee once a day. These are some queries in which I need your help: Which diet should I take to gain weight? Which kind of protein powder is the best for me? Is there any cure for lactose intolerance? Can health drinks help in weight gain? Is my tea and coffee habit resulting in decreased weight? I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician Nutritionist
#

• As you have mentioned that you are suffering from lactose intolerance, which means a decreased ability to digest milk sugar that is, lactose. You need not worry because you can have soy products like soy milk, tofu, and soy yogurt.
  • Do not take whey protein or any other products as they only concentrate on a balanced diet. I suggest you not to have tea or coffee in an empty stomach. Instead, you can have some dry fruits, fresh fruits, black tea or green tea.
  • The following are the answers to your queries:
  1. High-calorie, high-protein, moderate-fat, and carbohydrate diet is suitable for you. Whole cereals like dhals, eggs, fish, root vegetables, butter, ghee, fruits, vegetables, and soy products are all you require. A small frequent meal can be taken with plenty of water along with ample amount of sleep.
  2. You can try Nutrigain weight gainer supplement.
  3. There is no cure for lactose intolerance but, you can treat your symptom by avoiding milk and milk products.
  4. If you prefer a health drink, please read the ingredients like milk powder before having. I will suggest natural diet as the best choice.
  5. Yes, tea or coffee can minimize your appetite or craving for some specific foods, so use in limit and neither before nor after the meal as it can affect the absorption of nutrients in the body. According to your height, your weight can be up to 70 kg, so have a good diet.

If you require further consultation, feel free to contact me. Thank you.

For further queries consult a dietician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Can excess gas cause floating stools?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 47 year old male. I have noticed floating stools for about two months. This may have been going on longer, but I just noticed two months ago and historically, this is not normal for me. Consistency is solid with somewhat limited quantity and more like you would expect with constipa...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are consistent with malabsorption of fat and lactose intolerance. There are various causes of malabsorption and indeed lactose intolerance, pancreatic insufficiency and gallbladder dysfunction are some of the well known causes. Bloating and soft...  Read Full

Is Nitrous oxide pre-workout supplement bad for hypothyroidism?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have hypothyroidism. My TSH level is higher than the normal range. T3 and T4 are fine. I go to the gym regularly and like to lift heavy weights. I am taking pre-workout supplement - Nitrous Oxide. I heard that this is not good for me but I want to take some pre-workout supplement. Wha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is a very good question.You are right. The supplements which you are taking are not good for you when you have hypothyroidism. It can have adverse effects in the long run. I understand you require a pre-workout supplement for the strenuous exercise you do. WHEY PROTE...  Read Full

Ask a Dietician Now