Proteinuria

What can cause weakness and high protein content in urine in a diabetic patient?

Query: Recent blood tests revealed that proteins in urine is 486 against 130 in the 24 hour unit test. I am diabetic, however it is under control. Fasting sugar is 106 and after break fast it 120. I am using Diapride M 0.5 for Blood Sugar and Citanil T 40 for BP. I consulted nephrologist and he told m...  Read Full »

Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha

Nephrologist

Answer: Dear, Thanks for the query As per the records you have diabetes, hypertension and related complications such as retinopathy, nephropathy Your blood sugar control is good and other investigations also look fair Your doctor has rightly prescribed you Cetanil-T which contains Telmisartan which is use...  Read Full »

Why can I not gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 60 year old male. My height is 5'9" and my weight 150 lbs. Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago at 140 lbs weight. I went on with Metformin 2 x 1000 mg per day. It worked well for a while, but not good enough. Then I opted Insulin and gained some weight of about 4 lbs, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important point to remember is that diabetes is a well known cause of weight loss. I would also suggest to obtain age appropriate cancer screening, which would be a prostate exam plus PSA (prostate specific antigen) and colonoscopy in your case. I want to high...  Read Full »

I have attached my mom's urinalysis. What does it suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I have attached my mother's urinalysis report. She is experiencing burning sensation while urinating, but no fever. She is diabetic and on following medicines. Glycomet-GP 3/850 one in the morning and one at night, Voglibose 0.3 one in the morning, Telmisat-AM 5 mg, Orvas 5 mg, Nexito ...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopinath

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has a urinary infection. I would suggest a urine culture. You can start her on antibiotics now and later adjust after culture report. I would suggest the following medications. Consult your doctor, d...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have foamy urine?

Query: Hello doctor, My urine is foamy. I am confused whether everyone will get bubble and foamy urine while urinating. Please explain me.  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your vigilance. Mild frothing of urine is usual, but excess of frothing denotes protein leakage in urine. What is your age? Do you notice any swelling of your feet and face? Do you have any other medical problem? To be sure get a urine routine microscopy...  Read Full »

Does protein leak from the larger filter of kidney in nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that in nephrotic syndrome the filtering unit of kidney becomes larger and so protein comes in urine. I am a patient of cortisone dependent nephrotic syndrome over 15 years. Doctor says that about 95 percent of children will get cured at the age of 18. I am 17 years old now. When...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you have heard the things right. Due to increased pore there is protein in urine. The best treatment remains the Cortisone. In cases where there is no response to Cortisone as evidenced by persistence of albumin in urine, we need to shift those patients on Cyclopho...  Read Full »

How can kidney stones be detected?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old, fairly healthy female. I have been suffering from kidney stones since the age of 15. Mostly the stones would go away on their own without causing any pain. But in the last seven to eight months, I had been suffering from recurrent UTIs and mild pain in the kidney. Aro...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have got stone problem so early and since you are a recurrent kidney stone former, you need a thorough evaluation to prevent further stone episodes. You should collect the stone you pass in urine and do FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) spectroscopy analysis ...  Read Full »

Do birth control pills cause nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been taking birth control pills for five months, since she gave birth. About two months ago, she started having some swelling in her feet and legs. She waited to see if it would go away, but it did not. Her doctor did some tests and found protein in the urine, so she sent ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your physician said, birth control pills do not cause nephrotic syndrome or protein in urine. Nephrotic syndrome is the combination of nephrotic range proteinuria (more than 3 g of protein in urine) with a low serum albumin level and edema. The etiology or cause of ...  Read Full »

I have IgA neuropathy, is it normal for the protein and blood levels in the urine to fluctuate?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with early IgA nephropathy, about five years ago, and I am on medication. Protein and blood are present in the urine, and their levels have varied over time, ranging from traces to ++. My recent urine analysis showed protein (+), erythrocytes (++), RBC (8-10 /HPF), creati...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To correctly answer your questions, I need to know the following. Was biopsy done? If yes, then send the report. Is your blood pressure under control? What medicines are you currently taking? I suggest you get a 24-hour urine for protein done. This will tell you the degr...  Read Full »

Treatment for losing protein in the urine

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is losing protein in the urine. The result is ++. She usually remains tired and also has pain in some part of the body like back pain or head pain. She also has a lot of black pigmentation marks on her body. Is pigmentation marks cause any serious problem? Can you please tell me ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Protein in urine can be due to a nephrotic syndrome which could be due to many causes. Blood pressure, blood albumin level, and random blood sugar should be measured. Her urine test shows some pus cells (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest using...  Read Full »

My reports say there is protein in the urine. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood and urine tests done and it says I have protein (trace) in the urine. Is it normal? Secondly, I am attaching my reports. Please check and comment.  Read Full »

Dr. Jani Basha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Traces of protein in the urine might be normal. Kindly note: Uric acid is on the higher side, and lipid profile is deranged. Also, check your blood pressure and blood gluc...  Read Full »