Proteinuria

Is it normal to have foamy urine?

Query: Hello doctor, My urine is foamy. I am confused whether everyone will get bubble and foamy urine while urinating. Please explain me.  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your vigilance. Mild frothing of urine is usual, but excess of frothing denotes protein leakage in urine. What is your age? Do you notice any swelling of your feet and face? Do you have any other medical problem? To be sure get a urine routine microscopy...  Read Full »

Does protein leak from the larger filter of kidney in nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that in nephrotic syndrome the filtering unit of kidney becomes larger and so protein comes in urine. I am a patient of cortisone dependent nephrotic syndrome over 15 years. Doctor says that about 95 percent of children will get cured at the age of 18. I am 17 years old now. When...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you have heard the things right. Due to increased pore there is protein in urine. The best treatment remains the Cortisone. In cases where there is no response to Cortisone as evidenced by persistence of albumin in urine, we need to shift those patients on Cyclopho...  Read Full »

How can kidney stones be detected?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old, fairly healthy female. I have been suffering from kidney stones since the age of 15. Mostly the stones would go away on their own without causing any pain. But in the last seven to eight months, I had been suffering from recurrent UTIs and mild pain in the kidney. Aro...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have got stone problem so early and since you are a recurrent kidney stone former, you need a thorough evaluation to prevent further stone episodes. You should collect the stone you pass in urine and do FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) spectroscopy analysis ...  Read Full »

Do birth control pills cause nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been taking birth control pills for five months, since she gave birth. About two months ago, she started having some swelling in her feet and legs. She waited to see if it would go away, but it did not. Her doctor did some tests and found protein in the urine, so she sent ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your physician said, birth control pills do not cause nephrotic syndrome or protein in urine. Nephrotic syndrome is the combination of nephrotic range proteinuria (more than 3 g of protein in urine) with a low serum albumin level and edema. The etiology or cause of ...  Read Full »

I have IgA neuropathy, is it normal for the protein and blood levels in the urine to fluctuate?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with early IgA nephropathy, about five years ago, and I am on medication. Protein and blood are present in the urine, and their levels have varied over time, ranging from traces to ++. My recent urine analysis showed protein (+), erythrocytes (++), RBC (8-10 /HPF), creati...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To correctly answer your questions, I need to know the following. Was biopsy done? If yes, then send the report. Is your blood pressure under control? What medicines are you currently taking? I suggest you get a 24-hour urine for protein done. This will tell you the degr...  Read Full »

Treatment for losing protein in the urine

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is losing protein in the urine. The result is ++. She usually remains tired and also has pain in some part of the body like back pain or head pain. She also has a lot of black pigmentation marks on her body. Is pigmentation marks cause any serious problem? Can you please tell me ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Protein in urine can be due to a nephrotic syndrome which could be due to many causes. Blood pressure, blood albumin level, and random blood sugar should be measured. Her urine test shows some pus cells (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest using...  Read Full »

My reports say there is protein in the urine. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood and urine tests done and it says I have protein (trace) in the urine. Is it normal? Secondly, I am attaching my reports. Please check and comment.  Read Full »

Dr. Jani Basha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Traces of protein in the urine might be normal. Kindly note: Uric acid is on the higher side, and lipid profile is deranged. Also, check your blood pressure and blood gluc...  Read Full »

My uric acid levels and albumin levels are high. Are my kidneys damaged?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old male with a BMI of 26. During a recent health checkup of blood and urine, the following readings were observed. I have mentioned only the ones who have the higher readings. Protein 1+ detected in dipstick, serum uric acid at 9.2 mg/dL, MPV at 12.5 fL, FBS at 112 mg/...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The main problem is with the serum lipid profile which is HDL (high-density lipoprotein), LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), cholesterol, serum uric acid, urine albumin-creatinine ratio which ...  Read Full »

How to prevent FSGS from developing into kidney failure?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with FSGS through kidney biopsy. What is the best thing to do regarding my diet? And also, how to prevent this from developing into a kidney failure?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In FSGS (focal segmental glomerulosclerosis) as with most of the kidney diseases with protein leak, it is beneficial to restrict protein in the diet, especially animal protein. Salt restriction and restriction of oil and fatty foods are also recommended. Proper medicat...  Read Full »

Proteins were detected in my urine. Is it fatal?

Query: Hi doctor, I took tablet Solifenacin 5 mg for increased frequency of urine along with tablet Cifran 500 mg. After 10 days, proteins were detected in my urine. Is it fatal? What should I do? Please suggest. I do not urinate frequently now, but I have right flank pain. What is happening to me?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from urinary tract infection, and it could be secondary to kidney stones. In such case, I would recommend you to get an ultrasound of the abdomen and a urine culture done. Also, get your blood sugar tested if not done recently. You should drink...  Read Full »