Q. I am 38 years old male and have a voice like a female. Can you please help?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

I am a 38-year-old male. I have a voice like a female from childhood. I do not know what to do. I feel a lot as my position grows in my professional life. It affects me a lot. Please help me.

#

As per history, you can have puberphonia. It is a functional voice disorder characterized by the habitual use of a high-pitched voice (female voice) after puberty. The vocal folds are stretched and thin with minimal mucosal waves. The cricothyroid muscle remains contracted excessively. You can take fiberoptic flexible nasopharyngoscopy (NPL) to view the structures of vocal cords. You can treat this condition by having voice therapy. Giving Botulinum toxin injections to the cricothyroid muscles helps a lot. Relaxation thyroplasty type 3 can be used in the cases of failed speech therapy.

|