Rabies Vaccine

I get tingling sensation in the area of a dog bite. Am I at risk of rabies infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I work at a veterinary clinic. 18 days ago, a great dane bit my leg, causing some deep puncture wounds. We immediately flushed the wound even though I discovered that night that there was a wound on my leg's back, we did not notice. I went immediately to the local health department to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you were bitten by a dog 18 days back. If bitten, a previously vaccinated person should take two more doses of rabies vaccine. One dose immediately and one three days later. Again, if bitten, a nonvaccinate...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get rabies vaccine when a puppy puts his nail on burn wound?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a wound on my right foot due to crakers. A month old dog puppy had put its nails on my would, and I can see very thin blood similar to a needle point. Shall I take rabies antibody injections, or can I ignore it? Please reply.  Read Full »

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is it oozing? Since when the wound happened? When the dog touched it, was it oozing or bleeding? Do you have pain, tenderness, swelling, or redness? Do you have blisters or fever? Attach the picture of the lesion for better understanding.  Read Full »

What are the signs of rabies in humans?

Query: Hi doctor, I was injured by a bone of a dead dog. The injury is on my right knee. I cleaned the wound with soap water and this happened a month ago. I am facing some problems like flu, body pain and headache for the last four days. How to know if I am affected by rabies? What are the tests needed t...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The indication for post-exposure vaccination with or without rabies immunoglobulin depends on the type of contact with the rabid animal. Types of contact are of three categories: Category I – Touching or feeding the animals and licks on the skin. Category II - Nibbling ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get rabies vaccination if a vaccinated pet dog scratches you?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scratched by my pet vaccinated dog today few hours ago. Also there was no bleeding in my hand. But there is some redness there. So guide me that it is still necessary to have ARV. Also before 5months ago i was vaccinated with arv when there is scratch of dog then .  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. Although unvaccinated animals are more likely to transmit rabies, vaccinated animals can also do so if the vaccination of the biting animal was ineffective for any reason. A history of rabies vaccination in an animal is not always a guarantee that the biting animal is not...  Read Full »

How long does the rabies vaccine stay effective?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full »

My pet dog scratched me before three days. Can I take rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been scratched by my pet dog and I think it reached beneath my skin. I got red areas and I did not take any rabies medicine. And it is the third day, can I take medication now?  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can still take the medication. Do you have rabies or tetanus vaccine? If not or you are not sure, I recommend you go to a nearby hospital to have a rabies vaccine and tetanus shots or at least booster shots. I recommend you to complete the dose as per your ...  Read Full »

Should I get vaccinated now as I was licked by a dog 5 years back?

Query: Hi doctor, Five years ago, I was licked by a domestic dog on my foot. There were cracks below my foot. But, I did not know whether the dog touched those cracks or not. The dog lived for another four years and died. Is there is any use if I take rabies vaccine now?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no use of taking rabies vaccine now. Rest assured and you are not infected. The rabies virus has incubation period between 20 and 90 days, beyond which there is no chance to have rabies in host. Also the dog lived for four years, so it was not infected. If ...  Read Full »

Can fat burner medications interfere with anti-rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on an anti-rabies vaccination. I am very worried as I have been on other medications which I beilieve may interfere with rabies vaccine: 1. Modafinil, 2. Fat burner (ingridients:-yohimbine,bioperine,guggulsterones,synephrine,caffeine).  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

General Practitioner, Family Physician, Preventive Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your medical history, I went through, I would suggest that the above mentioned medicine will not interfere with rabies vaccine. However, keep rabies vaccine as the top priority and if possible stop other medications till the course is done as rabies is a much mor...  Read Full »

I had a dog scratch. Do I need rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a dog scratch. Stray dog accidently tripped over my legs and his foot bruised over mine. No cut, no blood. Do I need rabies vaccine?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully, I just want to confirm that is there any blood from the scratches over your skin? Wash the scratches with soap and plenty of water. If possible provide a image of scratches to me so that I can conclude and if possible watch over the dog...  Read Full »

Should I go for rabies vaccination after a minor scratch by a cat?

Query: Hi doctor, During my vacation I stayed in a hotel where they had 15 pet cats. I picked up a small cat to play, but she jumped from my hand and it felt like a scratch on my forearm. It was very minor, even not a single blood spot or skin removal present. She was completely normal in behavior. Now, I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through the photos attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) by you and understand your concern. The cat or dog bites are classified into three groups based on the severity. A simple scratch with no break in the skin and no bleeding...  Read Full »