Rabies Vaccine

I had a dog scratch. Do I need rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a dog scratch. Stray dog accidently tripped over my legs and his foot bruised over mine. No cut, no blood. Do I need rabies vaccine?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully, I just want to confirm that is there any blood from the scratches over your skin? Wash the scratches with soap and plenty of water. If possible provide a image of scratches to me so that I can conclude and if possible watch over the dog...  Read Full »

Should I go for rabies vaccination after a minor scratch by a cat?

Query: Hi doctor, During my vacation I stayed in a hotel where they had 15 pet cats. I picked up a small cat to play, but she jumped from my hand and it felt like a scratch on my forearm. It was very minor, even not a single blood spot or skin removal present. She was completely normal in behavior. Now, I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through the photos attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) by you and understand your concern. The cat or dog bites are classified into three groups based on the severity. A simple scratch with no break in the skin and no bleeding...  Read Full »

A dog scratched me. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, give attention to the following points: Is the dog drooling constantly? Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals? Were the injections given within seven years fro...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are in doubt that dog bite has occurred or not, then it is always advisable to give the antirabies vaccine. There is no harm in giving an antirabies vaccine. You should give anti-rabies vaccine because rabies is a fatal disease once it occurs and there is no treatm...  Read Full »

Do I need a rabies vaccine if a dog's leg touched my feet?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is related to the necessity of rabies vaccine for me. I am a 27 year old healthy male. I am a student, staying in the large campus of my institute. This campus is filled with stray dogs and many other types of animals. People caressing those dogs is a very common scene here. One...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your apprehension. As it is already one week since you had the dog touch your feet and there was no bleed or break of skin as such. No vaccination is required now. You should have thoroughly cleaned the region immediately after the dog had touched your leg....  Read Full »

Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no dietary restrictions following a dog bite and you can eat whatever you like to have. Also, let me share a few facts after dog bite:- A 10 days quarantine for the dog that has bitten is generally followed. If the dog during this period if devel...  Read Full »

Kindly explain me about antirabies vaccine.

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 10 days ago and got my first antirabies vaccine the next day. Also I got the second and third dose with a gap of three days, respectively. The wound was quite deep and the dog was unknown and untraceable. Everyone guiding me to take complete course of antirabies v...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for the dog bite. But, I am glad that you have taken the correct schedule of vaccines till now. Basically there are two types of antirabies vaccines. Neural tissue vaccine. Tissue culture vaccine. Of these neural tissue vaccines is given in the anterior abdom...  Read Full »

I was bitten by a chameleon. I did take Vaxirab. Now I am feeling pain in my arm and my back. Give me your advice.

Query: Dear Doctor, I was bitten by a chameleon. I did take Vaxirab yesterday. Now I am feeling pain in my arm and a very little pain in my back. I fear if am infected by rabies? What should I do. Give me your advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rabies will not affect too early. What you are having now, could be the side effects of Vaxirab. But if the rabies status of the chameleon is not known or if you cannot observe whether that chameleon lives for another 10 days, then you may also require Rabies Immunoglobul...  Read Full »

Accidentally, dog's teeth touched me while playing. Should I get vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor,I used to put biscuits for a stray dog in my office. Today, when I saw it, it came to me and started playing with me. Accidentally, one of the teeth touched my finger, but there was no injury or bleeding. Kindly advice if I should take a vaccine. Also, two months before I had Rabipur inje...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have already taken the full course of the vaccine, then no need to take a dose now. Since there is no injury or blood, thorough cleaning might be enough. For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-onlin...  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full »