Radical Prostatectomy

I am worried about the urinary incontinence. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 76 years old. I had an open radical prostatectomy about four months back. Today, I am completely incontinent. I do not smoke or drink. I do hiking and exercise daily. I also do the Kegel exercises faithfully. I have read several ways to do them and I can locate the sphincter mus...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax and do not worry. Urinary incontinence is a major complication of radical prostatectomy. It happens in 90 percent of the patients. Your urinary incontinence is not related to the lake in the abdomen. Usually, urinary incontinence will be present till one y...  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for my prostate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on active surveillance for the last 2 years. My initial prostate biopsy was 2 years ago and showed 1 out of 10 needles cancerous, Gleason 6, slow growing and Prolaris test showing a medium growth rate. I had second biopsy 6 months ago. Before the second biopsy, my PSA was 5 and four ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your details. My main concern is the rise of PSA (prostate-specific antigen) from 5 to 16. Though it might be due to infection, since three months you are taking treatment of infections. So, your PSA should have reduced if the rise was due to infection...  Read Full »

Please help me interpret my prostate biopsy.

Query: Hi doctor, Here are the results of a prostate biopsy. What do you think of the results? Do you recommend surgery or chemotherapy for a 71 year old?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The prostate biopsy report is suggestive of high grade prostate adenocarcinoma. So, the recommended treatment would be either a laparoscopic radical prostatectomy or radiotherapy in the form of IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy). No role for chemotherapy as a...  Read Full »

Can prostate cancer only be treated through surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 58 years old. He suffers from frequent urination and urgency to urinate. An ultrasound, blood tests, biopsy, and a bone scan was conducted. Bone scan did not show any metastasis. He was advised to take a pelvis MRI 15-20 days after the biopsy. He was diagnosed with prostate ...  Read Full »

Dr. Raghu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the reports submitted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is clear that your father has prostate cancer. From MRI, we can know the exact size of the tumor. It will also help in staging and we can get to know is there any spread to the nearby lymph...  Read Full »