Rapid Weight Loss

Can IBS cause lower abdomen pain and alarming weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. My problem is whenever I press my lower abdomen especially right lower part I feel some watery sound. When I wake up in the morning I feel pain in my lower abdomen. Also, my weight is decreasing at an alarming rate. Last year it was 68 kg and now it is only 52 kg. I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Niveditha Srinivasamurthy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your symptoms, I will also go with the diagnosis of IBS. But, my line of treatment will be based on ayurveda diagnosis. In your case, it is Vata Koshta - your digestive system afflicted by vata (increase in the gas in the intestines). Treatment for IBS will ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for rapid weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I am losing weight rapidly. I have been taking supplements. But they are of no help. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Ramkesh Prasad

General Practitioner, Preventive Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are losing weight and you are taking supplements and even then you are not gaining weight. Your history is incomplete. I need to know a detailed history before I can suggest you any remedy. I would like to tell you that, if you are losing weight rapidly, then there...  Read Full »

My HIV tests fall under false negative. Do I have HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, My ex-partner had HIV three years ago when I was along with him. But, he informed me regarding this very recently. He did not make me aware of his condition. We were not careful always. After getting to know, I checked on internet about its signs and symptoms and found that I had all o...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Out of nearly hundred person having sex with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) positive person, hardly less than one may get infected. The chances of acquiring HIV after sexual exposure is less than one percent. I would suggest you to get HIV RT-PCR (real-time polym...  Read Full »

Does Orlistat help in losing weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an unmarried 23 year old female. My height and weight are 5'6" and 105 kg respectively. Till now I do not have any medical issue. From childhood, I am a bit fat. So I would like to know, is there any tablet which can help me lose weight along with diet? I heard that Xenical (Orlista...  Read Full »

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician, Fitness Expert, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case in detail. First of all Orlistat (Xenical) is a drug which may be useful for you. But, initially I would recommend you to go under natural treatment better to say meal planning or proper diet chart. Pills have lot of side effects like mainly...  Read Full »

I unhealthily lost weight. Will I gain it back if I start eating normally again?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old, 5'5" girl. Over the course of a little over a month, I have gone from around 153 to 130. I have experimented with long fasting days, days of very low calories, and some exercise, also a plant-based diet. Of course, I know I unhealthily lost all this weight, but now I...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Need not worry. You need to work on a perfect plan to maintain your health according to given data. Height 152.4 cm, weight 58 kg, BMI 25.3. Your required calories for your age is 1600 to 1700 kcal/day. Since you are an athlete, divide these in carbohydrate 300 g, prote...  Read Full »

I gained weight rapidly after donating blood. How to get back in shape?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old who weighs 68 kg. My height is 5 feet and 3 inches. I used to weigh 57 kg before a blood donation. But, after donating blood, within six months I gained 11 kg. Please tell me how I can get back in shape. Also, I have stretch marks on my body.  Read Full »

Dr. Sonali Arvind Bhanushali

Dietician, Fitness Expert

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. I would like to inform you that there is no connection between blood donation and weight gain. By following a personalized diet plan, you can achieve the desired weight which is an indirect result of fat loss which can be calculated by...  Read Full »

How can I reduce my weight without any special equipment?

Query: Hello doctor,I am overweight and want to reduce my weight. Please tell me what are the exercises I can do to reduce weight without any types of equipment. I have slight back pain. So, kindly suggest accordingly. I want to become slim in every part of the body.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no magic formula to lose weight. You need to observe the following points to reduce weight: Eat 1500 to 2000 calories a day. Exercise for 45 minutes to an hour every day for five days a week. Include aerobics and weight training. Sleep for seven t...  Read Full »

Is 'eating just bananas for breakfast' a good way to lose weight?

Query: Hello docotor,I eat only two bananas for breakfast. Is it recommended to do so or does it cause stomach pain, gastritis, gas and bloating?  Read Full »

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Eating bananas for breakfast is good. But having only bananas for breakfast is not complete and appropriate. The word breakfast means that you are breaking your overnight fast. So, it is should be made up of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, and a fiber-r...  Read Full »

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

Child Health Specialist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Diarrhea could be due to surgery or chemotherapy or both. Normally, the patients should not have this much diarrhea. If it remains uncontrolled, you may have to stop chemotherapy for some days.Weight loss is common in this condition. After chemotherapy, he should be fine. A...  Read Full »

Why is my 11 year old son losing weight all of a sudden from last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 11 year old son who weighs 25 kg and is 138 cm tall. Everyone feels that something is wrong with him, as he is losing weight from the past three years, and it is severe for the last year. He is a slow eater and eats for 40 minutes to an hour, even small meal. We keep telling ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the details that you have provided and the blood test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). His problems are being underweight, fussy eater, constipation, and speech articulation problem. The blood tests show only vitamin D def...  Read Full »