Q. My husband's cholesterol level is too high. What changes can I make in his diet to reduce it?

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh

My husband's cholesterol level is 234mg/dL. But last year, it was 220mg/dL. What changes do I have to make in his diet to lower the cholesterol level? Sometimes, he snores while sleeping, and he is overweight.

#

Your husband’s healthy weight range is between 72 to 77 kg. He belongs to the obese category. First, he should concentrate on reducing his weight. Automatically, his lipid profile will become routine. He is young, and he can overcome his weight.

As he grows old, definitely his health will get affected.

Both diet and exercise should go hand in hand for weight reduction and controlling cholesterol levels.

Diet to follow:

• Have three meals a day with a healthy snack in the evening.
  • Coffee or tea is two to three cups daily (120 ml).
  • All kinds of fruits and vegetables are allowed.
  • Go for high fiber foods like multigrain cereals for breakfast.
  • Avoid junk foods, bakery products, sweets, sodas, processed foods, alcohol, smoking, butter, cheese, organ meats, etc.
  • You can use fenugreek seeds as a powder in your meal. It helps in controlling cholesterol levels. It is very good for health. He can drink buttermilk with little fenugreek powder added to it.
  • Let him eat unsalted nuts (almond and walnut - six to seven nuts daily).
  • You can also powder flax seeds and add them to your meal. It gives you fullness and will reduce the intake of foods, which helps in weight loss.
  • Go for mixed oils. That is sunflower oil, mustard oil, sesame oil or groundnut oil. Ghee (clarified butter) can be taken one teaspoon every day.
  • Coconut can be used in moderation.
  • Total oil intake should be around four teaspoons daily. It means you should cook with less oil.
  • Exercise - Simplest is brisk walking for one hour daily is compulsory. He can do any activity along with it.

I think I have covered everything. Get back with your food habits, and I can give diet advice accordingly.

|