Q. How can I lower my raised cholesterol levels?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Published on Mar 04, 2019

I recently had a full blood count done and would like a second opinion on the results. It was my cholesterol which surprised me. I have never suffered from high cholesterol but over the past three years, it has kept up and recent tests showed serum cholesterol 7 mmol/L/HDL, 1.25 mmol/L/LDL, 5.07 mmol/L, triglycerides 1.5 mmol/L. This surprised me as my cholesterol two years ago was 5.0 mmol/L and I gave up all meat four years ago.

I am 45 years old, eat healthy, exercise 3 to 4 times a week. I find it weird that my cholesterol has gone up when I have given up meat though there does seem to be a family trait in my mother's side for high cholesterol. I have also been reading a lot recently that views on cholesterol are changing and studies show that it is not directly linked now to saturated fats and heart disease. The other test I wanted to briefly discuss was my liver results. My doctor said they were all fine. I have looked at them and they all do seem to be fine except I noticed my Bilburin level was up a bit to 24 umol/L which sits just outside of the norm. My doctor mentioned nothing about this. Is it a concern?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, your cholesterol is high especially LDL. This is more worrisome. Cholesterol runs in family. So, despite a healthy lifestyle, some patients fail to reduce cholesterol.

Please let me know your weight, your height, any alcohol habit, are you taking any lipid-lowering drug? Please reply me answers to the above-asked questions, so that I can guide you better. For bilirubin, get done ultrasound abdomen for liver and biliary tract. Please let me know if the ultrasound is already done. I will be happy to help you further.

Thank you so much.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

How to Reduce Cholesterol Level?

Article Overview: Are you carrying extra cholesterol in your blood? If yes, you are unhealthy. This article helps you in managing cholesterol.  Read Article

Are You Rich in Cholesterol Figures? If you are obese, diabetic, hypertensive, have family history of heart disease or stroke, you need to get your cholesterol figures down. You don't need to be a millionaire in cholesterol figures. Even if you are not, trust me, you should still eat healthy and ex...  Read Article

Are uric acid medications and Paracetamol harmful to the liver?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is 67 and a patient of hypertension and hypothyroidism. Recently, he has been detected with elevated bilirubin levels. Here are his recent symptoms: occasional mild fever (99 to 100.5 F). No apparent cold symptom. Typhoid test came negative. Mild nausea (feeling better after u...  Read Full »

Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?

Query: Hello doctor,I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level and hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?  Read Full »