Q. How to treat the swelling caused by Restylane treatment?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Mar 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

Yesterday, I received Restylane treatment around my mouth, mostly between my nose and upper lip. Since yesterday my lip has blown up to a large size and I am much worried whether the injection was improperly placed into my lips, which I did not want.  Is this lip swelling normal? Will the area go down in size? If not, I have heard there is an injection to reverse and breakup the filler that was injected. Shall I go for it? The swelling feels slightly sore but no burning sensation or redness. I am taking Lomedia regularly for birth control. I have attached photos of my lips for your reference. The first one is immediately after injection and the second one is today morning. How long will it take to subside?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I have gone through your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, filler have given at wrong place. Now to recorrect the wrong filling of filler I would suggest you to wait for at least one month.
  • Meanwhile, you can press it by finger and try to move filler to correct place where were you wanted it. Pressure and massage by finger certainly will help you out.
  • Another injection comes that is hyaluronidase. It comes in injection and we have to give it but like filler only. Have to insert this material in filler area which will dissolve the filler.
  • But, as a cosmetologist I do not prefer it much because action of this enzyme is little uncontrolled and it may dissolve more amount of filler which further disfigure. So, my final decision in this case is just wait and watch for a month at least.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist