Q. Should I terminate my pregnancy in case of a rubella infection?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
Published on Jul 21, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am 18 weeks pregnant. When I was 16 weeks and 5 days pregnant, a few red rashes appeared on my face and I felt a little sick. On the next day, it spread to my hands and the upper part of the body along with a minor fever. So, I went to my gynecologist who referred me to a physician. I was asked to test for measles and rubella and the result was positive for rubella. The lab result read Rubella-IgM-Grayzone (1.23). The rashes faded on the next day and completely vanished one day later. The fever and the body pain went away with the rashes. However, I had minor joint pains until two days later. My gynecologist asked me to repeat the test and I did the second test when I was at 17 weeks and 3 days, and the result came positive for rubella IgM as 15.18. She asked me to terminate the pregnancy immediately. Could you please advise what would be the next step at this stage? Can a defect, if any, not be identified with a scan?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Most of the rubella infections acquired before 16 weeks of pregnancy, results in severe malformations in the baby which may not be detected immediately by a level three ultrasound scan because the virus takes time to start affecting the various developing organs.
  • If some serious defects are detected at a later stage of the pregnancy, then termination will be risky and difficult. Your doctor is right in suggesting a termination.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

There is bleeding and pain 24 hours after taking Mifepristone and Misoprostol. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend underwent a USG and she was detected with 6-week pregnancy and then she took Mifepristone and then next day four Misoprostol (mouth dissolving). Now it has been more than 24 hours. She is bleeding continuously with clots and having severe pain. Kindly suggest what to do now ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepali Raina

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is the pregnancy products coming out. Heavy bleeding is expected after medical termination of pregnancy. Sometimes, however, if the medical abortion is not complete and some products remain stuck in the uterus, the bleeding may continue or even be excessive to a leve...  Read Full

What could be the reason for early light periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex continuously from 7th to 16th of this month with my husband. I am expecting my period on the 26th. I keep tracking my period, so I know when will be my next period. But today, on 21st I had my period. But, it is very light. Usually, I get my period with some symptoms like heada...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, this type of bleeding pattern could be due to either implantation bleeding or hormonal imbalance. Implantation bleeding is seen in early pregnancy. As you are due for period on 26th and had intercourse in the fertile period, there is a high possib...  Read Full