HomeAnswersDermatologyscalp abscessI am a 20-year-old with round pus-filled baldness on the left side of my head. What is it?

What are the possible causes of a round, pus-filled lesion on the head?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At October 16, 2022
Reviewed AtSeptember 26, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

When I was about six years old, I went to a barbershop and got a contagious thing on my head that lasted years. I was too small to know what it was, but I remember it was some form of fungus (circle shaped, full of pus, baldness). It took a long to get it removed by a dermatologist. So now that I am 20 years old, I got one on the left side of my head. It is a circle ball-shaped, filled with liquid that will not go away and keeps growing. I would like to know what it is called. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. "Circle ball-shaped" lesion filled with liquid on the left side of the head, as per your description, can be pilar cyst, tinea capitis, cystic hidradenoma, Abscess, eccrine spiradenoma, sweat gland growth, hidrocystoma and dermoid cyst. The list goes on and on. But first, I must see the lesion and assess it properly before diagnosing it. Please attach your clinical picture so I can make a precise diagnosis and suggest treatment options. Also, I need a little more information from you. How long has it been there? When did you notice? Is it painful? Does it itch? Do you have any similar lesions elsewhere? Thanks and regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy