iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryschizoaffective disorderI need an opinion on weaning off psychotropics. Please help.

What are the ways to wean off psychotropics and continue Clonazepam?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 26, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 26, 2024

Patient's Query

I need an opinion about weaning off psychotropics to go on only Clozapine for a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. Please help.

Hello

welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

As you are on multiple medicines, it will be difficult to withdraw all medicine. You are currently taking a combination of anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers. So, if you want to be on Clozapine, you can add it in a low dose of 12.5 mg. Stop Olanzepine and Clonazepam immediately once you add Clozapine.

If you do not have any extrapyramidal side effects, then you can stop Trihexyphenidyl. Asenapine is anti-psychotic, so you can reduce the dosage once you increase the dosage of Clozapine gradually. Lamictal and Topamax are mood stabilizers, so you can increase the dosage of any one and gradually discontinue the other. But one thing to keep in mind is that Clozapine may cause weight gain, and also metabolic changes are common with it. So, start it after all the discussion about Clozapine. Regular blood checkups are required with Clozapine.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vipul Chelabhai Prajapati
Dr. Vipul Chelabhai Prajapati

Psychiatry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Psychiatry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy