Sepsis

Why is there a continuous rise in temperature despite taking antibiotics?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 71 years old. He had a fever for a week, and the temperature raised up to 104 during the night along with frequent urination. Two days ago, the fever came down to 98.4 for five hours but again increased to 102.3 despite taking the same antibiotics. He is taking tablet G...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and investigation (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your father has sepsis, and the antibiotics are inadequate because both Gudcef (Cefpodoxime) and Monocef (Ceftriaxone) belong to the same group and have the same mechanism of acti...  Read Full »

Can my 3 year old son lead a normal life after sepsis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 year old son was diagnosed with sepsis with SIRS, three days back. But, now his WBC and C-reactive protein are within limits. Will he have sepsis again? He frequently gets wheezing and allergic cough. He is currently taking Amclav.  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sepsis means infection in the blood. If the investigations like CBC (complete blood count), urine culture, blood culture, CRP (C-reactive protein) are normal, it means that the child has been treated for this infection. Usually, this happens because of infecti...  Read Full »

What is the main reason for sepsis in a newborn?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the main reason for sepsis to occur in a newborn? Will parents be the reason?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sepsis means systemic infection of body in babies. There are many causes like meconium aspiration during delivery, infection from the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) where the baby is kept, infection from any person who handles the baby, etc. For further information c...  Read Full »

My 2 month old baby is crying a lot. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 months old baby is crying a lot. She is crying most of the day and is refusing mother's milk. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. If a 2 month old child is crying, then it could be due to pain in the abdomen due to colic. I suggest you start Colicaid drops (Dil oil, Fennel oil, and Simethicone), four drops thrice a day for three days. If the child is not taking ...  Read Full »

My M2-PK level is 150. Does it mean that I have cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My M2-PK is 150. Does it mean that I have cancer? There was no pain, just a regular checkup. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinic.com. No, it does not imply cancer alone. Many healthy people, as well as patients with other non-cancerous diseases like rheumatic diseases, diabetic nephropathy, chronic heart diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, sepsis, may have elevated levels. So there ...  Read Full »

Why is my baby having fever every 10 days for the last two months?

Query: Hello doctor,My son (aged 8 months, weighing 8.5 kg) is suffering from fever frequently once in 10 days for last two months. We have got urine (culture and routine) and blood tests (CBC, CRP, IgE total) done for my son. The urine report is normal. However, as per the blood report, there is some infe...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the blood investigations, you have shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it suggests that there is some bacterial infection in the blood. I suggest you start a course of antibiotics for your child at least for five days, preferably Amoxycla...  Read Full »

My dad has been advised temporary dialysis. Does he really require it?

Query: Hi doctor,My 66 year old father suddenly got a high fever and in few days we discovered he has a urinary tract infection. He is a diabetic and on insulin. He is a very disciplined person when it comes to his health. He checked his creatinine levels early this year and it was in the normal range. Af...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your father. He is presently having a severe infection (sepsis) due to the urinary tract infection. There is an acid accumulation in the blood due to the infection. There is worsening of renal function as a result of stress to the body due to...  Read Full »

My husband has not urinated in almost 24 hours. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband has not urinated in almost 24 hours. He has a pain in his right shoulder and chest with a severe headache. Also, his kidneys hurt.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. A urine output of fewer than 400 mL per day is referred to as oligouria. And no urine output means anuria. Both the conditions need urgent ER (emergency room) care to prevent a renal shutdown. The cause could be an infection, renal failure,...  Read Full »

My premature baby has high sugar levels. I am worried. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby boy two months prematurely and he was underweight (1.210 kg). The reason was almost nil movement of the fetus and very less fluid in the fetus (3.5 to 4).After the delivery, the doctor said that all the other parameters of the baby like the height of the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The possible reasons for diabetes are a lack of development of insulin response due to prematurity, in which case it will improve with time. Another possibility is sepsis, that will subside with antibiotics. The less likely possibility is a congenital absence of the...  Read Full »

Why is my son getting a fever during the recovery phase of dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 5 year old son, who is 16.5 kg. He is suffering from dengue since one week, and his platelets count dropped to 62,000. The platelet count increased to 83,000, but the next day, he got a fever of 99.9 F. Why is he getting fever during the recovery phase of dengue? Please advice...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of fever could be low-grade SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) in the recovery phase of dengue. Usually, fever lasts for 7 to 8 days, and the platelet starts to rise after day five. There are other causes as well, for example, co-infect...  Read Full »