Q. Will sensitiveness to Tryptophan and Vitamin D3 pass with time?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

I have serotonin syndrome or toxicity from a tricyclic antidepressant. I stopped taking it seven weeks ago. Most of my neurological symptoms have gone. I stick to a low tryptophan diet but if I eat something higher in tryptophan or get stressed, I feel nauseous, depressed, agitated and I cannot sleep. This happens every few days. I cannot take supplements such as Vitamin D3. I am post menopausal and need calcium but I cannot eat dairy or drink milk without severe effects. My question is, will my sensitivities pass in time and will my serotonin rebalance? I am so frightened that I have permanent endocrine or brain damage. Currently, I am taking Propranolol mini pill.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Since your serotonin syndrome is drug induced, it must be normalized within a wash out period. I mean normalized gradually once you stop it. You may take another antidepressant that is safe for you. Eating tryptophan rich foods or stress inducing some symptoms to you, I feel which may not be related to serotonin syndrome. That looks like your depression related issues only. It needs another better drugs. Please discuss with your clinician about current symptoms.

Your brain and endocrine systems are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Only thing you must take better antidepressants and psychological counselling. Vitamin D dosage need to be adjusted if it is causing trouble. This may not be related to serotonin syndrome.

For more information consult a toxicologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/toxicologist

|