Sling

I have numbness on the center of my shoulder near my elbow after a dislocation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 9 inches, and I weigh 130 lbs. I am a professional dancer. I dislocated my left shoulder while dancing. I had to make a move that involved throwing the arms out and across the body to the right side sharply and quickly. It popped ou...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you described was a dislocation of the shoulder joint and a reduction on its own. When the relocation of this forearm head in the joint cavity does not happen on its own, we try to reduce it again in the joint cavity with some maneuvering, and immobilize it with ...  Read Full »

Is the surgery for fracture advisable for an 80-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother is 80 years old. Her left side is paralyzed. She is incapable of holding or carrying any weight or exert pressure by her left arm for more than 15 years. Now, she met with a fracture in the same hand. I have attached the x-ray of her left arm. If the fracture and dislocat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query along with the x-ray image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Since the affected side is already paralyzed for more than 15 years, there is no point of going through extensive surgery of fixation of distal humerus in 80 year...  Read Full »

Why did my shoulder get dislocated for the second time? How do I treat it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old. I met with an accident some nine years ago which resulted in a chip fracture of the left shoulder acromion. After nine months, I had a shoulder dislocation in the same shoulder which was corrected by a bone setter at home. Recently, the same shoulder again got dis...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shoulder dislocation in sleep and also for the second time points that you will require a surgery called arthroscopic Bankart repair. Also, shoulder dislocation can be prevented if you avoid external rotation of the arm and shoulder. A simple arm sling brace will work...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to be in sling always for an arm fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4 year old son fell down in play area and got his left arm fractured in the region of ulna and radius. We went to the emergency room immediately and the doctors did alignment and put him on cast and sling. Can you please check the x-ray and confirm the alignment? Since he is 4 years o...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reduction is not appropriate in this case, bone might join in a 4 year old child but this is certainly taking risk. Child requires removal of cast, reattempt at close reduction, application of slab for one week followed by check x-ray elbow with forearm with wrist-...  Read Full »

I jumped off a boat and my sternum popped. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 year old female. I jumped off a boat and my sternum popped. I have swelling and severe pain. I am taking Ibuprofen. It hurts to breathe and move my arms. I have a history of osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, and scoliosis.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be a sterno-clavicular dislocation. If it is, then you need to lie down and push the shoulder behind. But, an orthopedic surgeon needs to reduce the dislocation. Till then wear an arm sling pouch. I suggest you continue taking Ibuprofen. And upload the X-rays a...  Read Full »