Spasticity

My friend is suffering from neuropathic pain after a thalamic stroke. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My friend, who is a 48 years old female, suffered a CVA three years back. She was diagnosed with a right thalamic hemorrhagic stroke with pericardial effusion, left hemiparesis, autoimmune thyroiditis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ischemic unstable angina, grade 3 obesity, altered glucose...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thalamus is the part of the brain, through which all sensory information is relayed. After a stroke involving the thalamus, many times, the patient develops thalamic pain syndrome, which is very poorly responsive to medications. But as you told that it was relieved ...  Read Full »

What could cause an unsteady gait in a toddler?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was a late walker. She started to walk when she was 18 months old. Now, at 20 months, it feels like she is still very unsteady and her gait is weird. I have attached a link to a video of how she walks. Please see it. Is there a real reason to be concerned or is it normal af...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the video (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that she walks with an ataxic gait. There may also be some component of spasticity (stiffness in her lower limbs). It looks a little abnormal because she is tripping and falling. This c...  Read Full »

My daughter is on Phenytoin, but still, she gets seizure. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is suffering from cerebral palsy of right side since birth. It is also called seizure, hemiplegic type. Now she is 24 years old. Her right side of the body, right leg and right hand are not working properly. She walks with staggers with raised heel part of the right leg and ri...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter seems to have right hemiplegia and seizures. The way of walking with raised heel and right arm twisted is increased tone in right-sided limbs suggestive of spasticity and contracture. As you told that she is already on Tablet Eptoin (Phenytoin) 100 mg th...  Read Full »