Q. Why do I have uncomfortable feeling between the middle of my spine and left shoulder blade?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 28, 2019

I am having an uncomfortable feeling in between the middle of my spine and left shoulder blade. It seems to get stiff, and my bones pop a lot around there, and it is very uncomfortable to sit in specific ways feels like my bones shift, well the other night it seemed as if my shoulder would pop out of place causing more stiffness after a while of dealing with it.

I ended up feeling a popping sensation, where the stiffness was an instant relief. It was so shocking it put my anxiety through the roof. I thought I was going to die because my whole body was shaking and tingling. What am I dealing with? Right now I have no pain or tender near that area still relief but curious on what happened and why I got this shock and that popping feeling so loud it scared me half to death.

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

The popping and discomfort what you felt is either because of improper scapulothoracic mobility or may be due to facet joint irritation in the neck with intervertebral hypermobility. Which could have caused due to stiffness in the chest muscles, shoulder stiffness, etc.

I would recommend you to do a lot of icing in the chest and back muscles. Maintain your neck and upper back posture by doing some back retraction work. Gently stretch your neck and chest. Gently massage your chest and shoulders to relieve tension in the muscles. I hope this is helpful for now. Kindly revert in case you need any help in this regard.

I have a terrible upper back and shoulder pain, and I feel drowsy. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old male, and I have a terrible upper back and left shoulder pain from past two years. The pain is radiating to the left side of the chest also. Whenever I move my neck, I hear some sound. With this pain, I feel drowsy and light-headed full day. I am not able to do routine...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like the following details. Did you take any x-ray? Have you tried physiotherapy? Was the MRI with or without contrast? Do you feel missed heartbeats when you feel drowsy? Do you get sweaty or get a sinking feeling? If yes, then you need a 24- hour Holter ECG (...  Read Full

My son has lower back pain but, only at night. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,My son has been complaining of a lower back pain only at night for the last month. It is not severe enough to awaken him but, as soon as he lays down he starts complaining. Kindly note that this issue occurs only at night time.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An interesting query here.  However, this must be a minor issue since it is not interfering with day to day normal activities. These are the points I would like to highlight: There may be a local swelling or pus formation inside the spine or just around it, which migh...  Read Full

How to get relief from chest pain? I'm taking Concor 5 for hypertension.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 88 kg. My waist is 36 inches. Around 20 years back, I was heavily into sports and a winner of a gold medal at the national level athletics. Nine months before, I was diagnosed with hypertension and occasional mild chest pain or di...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is evident that your solution of one problem led to another. Systolic bridging does cause chest pain and also smoking can cause vasospasm that is, constriction of vessels. Hence, the chest pain will be alleviated only if you totally quit smoking. All the doctors who...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now