Q. I have lower back pain, and I am unable to put pressure on my legs to walk. What to do?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I have severe lower back pain. I am unable to put pressure on my legs to walk. Before three weeks, I was lifting a dog into my car. After that, I got a sharp pain in my lower back. It went away after two days. Today, I was lifting my two-year-old child into an inflatable tube. I had the same pain but it was present on the mid-right side of my back. I had pain continuously. While bending down to get my dish out of my dishwasher, I got horrible pain in my lower back. My pain knocked me to the ground. My husband helped me.

#

You need an examination to determine whether it is a back strain or sciatica from a pinched nerve. Please mention whether you have any numbness and weakness in your legs apart from the pain while walking. Please mention whether you have bladder control. Please mention whether you have worse pain upon straining. If you have these symptoms, then you have a disc prolapse and you need to consult a doctor. Do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to know the cause. You need to take an anti-inflammatory medication and muscle relaxant to have relief from muscle spasms and apply ice to the sore area on the back. Take rest and have a walk as much as possible.

|