Q. I have lower back pain, and I am unable to put pressure on my legs to walk. What to do?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2020

Lower back pain unable to put pressure on legs to walk. 3 weeks ago I was lifting my dog into the car. I got a sharp pain in my lower back..went away in about two days. Today I was lifting my two year old into an inflatable tube, While setting her down I had the same pain but on the mid right side of my back. This pain continued all day. Then while bending down to get a dish out of the dishwasher I got a horrible pain in my lower back. The pain knocked me to the ground. My husband had to help me off the ground to the bed . Since then I have not been able to put pressure on my legs to walk without horrible pain.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

You need to be examined to determine if this is a back strain or a sciatica from a pinched nerve.

Is there any numbness in the leg, does the leg feel weak apart from the pain you feel while trying to walk, can you control your bladder well ,does the pain worsen upon straining ? If the answer to the questions is yes then you have a disc prolapse and you will need to see a doctor and perhaps a MRI too.

In three mentioned to need to take anti-inflammatory tablets and muscle relaxant top help with the muscle spasm and apply Ice to the sore area on the back, rest in bed but not absolute such that you walk as much as to feel comfortable

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Are low back pain, leg pian and fatigue connected to Arnold-Chiari malformation surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been dealing with severe lower back pain, hip pain, butt and leg pain, fatigue, insomnia, hot and sweaty, pain in wrist and fingers, foot pain (left foot my toes are curved down and one is curved to the left). I do not know if this has anything to do with arthritis but there ar...  Read Full »

I had a minor herniated disc L4 or L5 but the sciatica is heavy. What is the underlying cause?

Query: Hello, I had a minor herniated disc L4 or L5 last year. (MRI confirmed nerve pinch, but no broken disc or liquid leaks) With heavy pain, I was hospitalized, but recovered within two weeks. With Ibuprofen and muscle relaxants, I was able to walk and function pretty normally. Sciatica (leg nerve pain...  Read Full »

Why is there lower back pain and left hip pain with spasm after chiropractic manipulation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently experiencing severe lower back and left hip pain and spasms. I have a history of a slight disk herniation at L5-S1 with no nerve impingement. I believe this flare-up began two weeks ago when I attended my first chiropractic visit. The pain became so severe, I broke d...  Read Full »

Ask a Chiropractor Now