Spirometry Test

Am I experiencing breathlessness due to a deviated nasal septum?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I have been experiencing breathlessness. It happens mostly when I am idle or lying down. I feel no discomfort while running. But, I feel like I am short of breathe when I sit idle. I am a 23 year old male. I am reasonably fit. I do not smoke, although I drink occasionally and mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, you experience breathlessness while being idle and not during exercise suggests an airway problem. Supportive to this, you also suffer from a deviated nasal septum, which may cause nasal obstruction and that may sometimes cause breathlessness. Pat...  Read Full »

I feel sudden chest discomfort and breathlessness. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. My height is 167 cm and weight is 75 kg. Over the past one week, I am having high discomfort and pain in my right chest when I breathe. The pain radiates to the right shoulder and right arm too. When I sneeze or blow my nose up, the pain is severe. I cannot explain this...  Read Full »

Dr. Kartik Sood

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have a history of frequent chest infections in the past, which were associated with wheezing, secretions and fever as well, I would suggest you to consult a pulmonologist or a chest physician in person. Your symptom of chest pain, which increases on deep respiratio...  Read Full »

What are the causes of breathing problem and cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I have been facing breathing problem for the past five days. The first time it happened for a few minutes after I had finished my dinner and after that I smoked. I am not a heavy smoker and this has also not happened before. The problem is that I am breathin...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, you are suffering from cough with expectoration and breathing difficulty, it is quite possible that you can have acute bronchitis. You have a history of smoking even though not regularly. Smoking is an aggravating factor for cough. Also, there is difficul...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest treatment for unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm.

Query: Hi doctor, What health implications have been observed with a unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm? I have had a plication performed, but it failed and is back to the original issue. Currently, I am suffering from shortness of breath, chest pain with dizzy spells and increased heart rate. I am on P...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is most commonly seen on the left side. The diaphragm is the most important muscle of ventilation. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is usually well tolerated if there is no underlying lung or rib cage pathology. But, if severe, then it...  Read Full »

How is pneumonia diagnosed?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is suffering from cough for the past four weeks. She started it out very gently and it is getting worse. Last weekend she was coughing almost non-stop. I took her to a Walk-in clinic and they gave her a cough syrup and an antibiotic. I was told to start the antibiotic four ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your daughter's story in detail. I also heard the quality of cough you provided in the sound clip (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the above description, I feel that your daughter is suffering from bronchial asthma. I suggest you to see ...  Read Full »

I have breathing difficulty with restrictive disorder. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I have breathing difficulties. I had a spirometry test that showed a restrictive disorder. I recently had a CT scan and waiting to see my specialist in the end of the month. I was wondering what could indicate this type of problem? I can attach my CT scan. I am currently taking Plaque...  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The CT (computed tomography) scan which you attached is showing ground glass with mild reticular changes in your basal regions and from the history which you gave it could be an interstitial ...  Read Full »

Are the streaky opacities in lungs seen in chest x-ray cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, There are streaky opacities seen on my chest X-ray. I would like to know more about the meaning of these findings. Are streaky opacities associated with malignancy? My key symptom is shortness of breath. I have no coughing, no fever, no sputum, and no hemoptysis. Also, I am an ex-smok...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Streaky opacities scattered in both lung fields means that there might be small straight lung shadows along the air passages on your X-ray on both the sides. These prominent airways in the lun...  Read Full »

What causes flattening of the diaphragm?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is 52 years old. He has never smoked and is currently training for a half marathon. He is very fit. For a couple of years, he is suffering from mild asthma and using Ventolin inhaler. For the past few months, he is suffering from chronic cough and that sounds like an asthmatic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your husband's x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows stable hyperinflation. It means his lungs are over distended (mildly) with air. This is the result of his asthma. More than asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a bett...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for chronic dry cough.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from chronic dry cough originating primarily in bronchial area. I feel fatigue, vertigo, lack of appetite and periodic nausea. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic cough since long time suggests some allergic condition like asthma. For proper diagnosis you should do a chest x-ray and spirometry test. Other symptoms can be suggestive of some infective cause like tuberculosis. So, ultimately after an x-ray and spirometry...  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain after using CPAP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have obstructive sleep apnea and using CPAP for a year. I feel chest pain in the mornings. The same kind of pain is felt whenever I sleep without the mask. My BP, sugar and ECGs were tested before six months back and they were normal. What is the cause and remedy?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. OSA that is obstructive sleep apnea happens when something partly or completely blocks your upper airway during sleep. The common symptoms of the disease are snoring and intermittent pauses in your breathing during sleep, daytime sleepiness, difficulty in conc...  Read Full »