Spirometry Test

Are the streaky opacities in lungs seen in chest x-ray cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, There are streaky opacities seen on my chest X-ray. I would like to know more about the meaning of these findings. Are streaky opacities associated with malignancy? My key symptom is shortness of breath. I have no coughing, no fever, no sputum, and no hemoptysis. Also, I am an ex-smok...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Streaky opacities scattered in both lung fields means that there might be small straight lung shadows along the air passages on your X-ray on both the sides. These prominent airways in the lun...  Read Full »

What causes flattening of the diaphragm?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is 52 years old. He has never smoked and is currently training for a half marathon. He is very fit. For a couple of years, he is suffering from mild asthma and using Ventolin inhaler. For the past few months, he is suffering from chronic cough and that sounds like an asthmatic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your husband's x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows stable hyperinflation. It means his lungs are over distended (mildly) with air. This is the result of his asthma. More than asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a bett...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for chronic dry cough.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from chronic dry cough originating primarily in bronchial area. I feel fatigue, vertigo, lack of appetite and periodic nausea. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic cough since long time suggests some allergic condition like asthma. For proper diagnosis you should do a chest x-ray and spirometry test. Other symptoms can be suggestive of some infective cause like tuberculosis. So, ultimately after an x-ray and spirometry...  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain after using CPAP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have obstructive sleep apnea and using CPAP for a year. I feel chest pain in the mornings. The same kind of pain is felt whenever I sleep without the mask. My BP, sugar and ECGs were tested before six months back and they were normal. What is the cause and remedy?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. OSA that is obstructive sleep apnea happens when something partly or completely blocks your upper airway during sleep. The common symptoms of the disease are snoring and intermittent pauses in your breathing during sleep, daytime sleepiness, difficulty in conc...  Read Full »

Streakiness seen in X-ray of lower lung. Could this be IPF?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old male. I went for a routine X-ray, and the radiologist found some streakiness in the lower left lung. He said it appeared small and not significant, but it was adviced that I should come back in six months for a comparative X-ray and that it could just be a scar from...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does not look worrisome (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Small streaks or fibrosis is usually due to old infection or collapses etc., The usual cause for such fibrosis is typically an infection and commonly found at such age groups. The probability ...  Read Full »

Can asthma be permanently cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My son aged 4 years and 4 months is premature by birth at 34 weeks. His current weight is 15.5 kg. He always used to get a cough and sometimes fever in an interval of every two to three months, especially since last one year. However, there is no other visible physical or mental problem ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Though your son is premature, it does not matter with the present illness. Let me first clear you that he is suffering from bronchial asthma. And anyone can have asthma without any family history. So, it is not necessary to be always run in families. To confirm the dia...  Read Full »

Can iron deficiency anemia cause shortness of breath?

Query: Hi doctor,My age is 26 and having iron deficiency anemia. My Hb level is 11 but ferritin 18. Sometimes, I felt shortness of breath. Now, I am taking Iron medicine but when I quit taking iron tablets, my situation gets worse with time.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can complete the course of Iron medication for 2 to 3 months according to your doctor's prescription. It is not advisable to take Iron tablet randomly. Usually, at 11 gm Hb level, dyspnea does not occur. For your breathlessness, I suggest you investigate with ch...  Read Full »

If I quit smoking, will my RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV levels come back to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from hypertension since few years, and I am currently on medication Telmisartan. I am an alcoholic and smoker, and I smoke approximately 15 cigarettes a day for the last five years. My current CBC report suggests high RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV. Though it reduced slightly...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis is polycythemia. Polycythemia can be secondary or primary. Secondary polycythemia occurs because of hypoxia, which activates the oxygen sensor and more erythropoiet...  Read Full »

I am suffering from cough for the past one month. Can it be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male. My weight is 50 kg. Around 50 days ago, I had a sore throat, nose itching and cough. I noticed a tiny amount of blood with mucus (only two times). I do not know whether it has come from lung or nose or throat. Then, my doctor told me to get complete blood count t...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing your query to me. Recurrent episodes of a cough especially at night, chest tightness and difficulty in breathing are symptoms of asthma. Asthma is a chronic disease affecting the airways. It is due to the allergic reactions to environmental allergens...  Read Full »

If I stop smoking, can I live long?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a CT scan on head, neck and chest. My doctor told me that I have chronic sinus. I already knew these things and had sinus surgery. But, in the report it was mentioned as mild emphysema. Can that get fixed if I stop smoking? I am using Advair for years for asthma. I visited pulm...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Emphysema is a non-reversible change in the lungs. But, yes, the further progression can be controlled by stopping smoking. Now, to know the extent of damage, I would advise to go for pulmonary function test (spirometry) that would help you to k...  Read Full »