Q. I sprained my neck while moving a furniture, and I have severe pain. Please help.

Dr. Maithili Patel
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

Hi. My age is 29 years - Male. Height around 5'8, weight - 52 kgs. I was moving heavy furniture yesterday night, and I sprained my neck. I feel a stinging pain towards the back left of my neck (from my direction of facing) - Pain is at the nerve connecting head to my left shoulder. I am not able to move my neck even to the slightest angle as it hurts a lot. I have more difficulty facing up or down, when compared to moving my head left or right - although everything hurts. There is a spread out pain that area. No medications are being taken. Only multi vitamins. No previous health conditions and no known medical allergies so far.

#

Hello, Welcome to icliniq Your much clear description suggests that you might have strained you neck/shoulder muscles. Getting strained after pulling heavy objects is Very common followed by swelling in that particular region with muscle spasm. The neck movements would be definitely painful and restricted. Following are my first aid advices: - Apply ice or ice pack at the painful site to relieve pain and acute inflammation if any. - Provide adequate rest to that part by avoiding jerky movements and lifting anything but at the same time DO NOT keep the neck stiff. Keep moving the neck within available range to avoid increase in muscle stiffness or spasm. - Following this routine upto a week atleast because i am unsure of the amount of injury. - Start with gradual neck movements when the pain allows you to do so. In future, kindly avoid such activities as it might even damage the disc in the vertebra and making it slip. Hope this was helpful Take care

|