Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Can a rheumatologist diagnose the cause of enlarged lymph nodes from biopsy reports?

Query: Hi! I had enlarged lymph nodes on both sides of the neck. I sought consult and had a neck dissection and biopsy. I believe i'm healthy.I dont feel anything except for the enlarged lymph nodes.It was noted in the result: Histiocytic Necrotizing Lymphadenitis consider: 1.Kikuchi Fujimoto 2.Lupus Ad...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: hello, Have gone through the details submitted Localised painless cervical lymphadenopathy , Kikuchi's Lymphadenitis is a well known , though uncommon Idiopathic Lymphadenitis .Its a self limiting entity and will remit on its own Its close Differential diagnosis is Lupus [SLE] Lymphadenitis , has...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to protect me from sunlight.

Query: Hi doctor, Two years back during my holidays, I developed a large rash over the whole of my legs. It was described as petechiae when I got back to my native. The infection had got into my blood stream and my white blood cell count was extremely high. It took some time for it to return to normal. I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem quoted by you as a petechia with blood stream infection and increased white blood cell count is broad in the sense it can include, Sepsis due to bacterial infection.  Viral hemorrhagic fever. Parasitic infections. Whatever might be the cause; infections are...  Read Full »

What does muscle soreness with positive ANA indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had some muscular soreness for about one and a half years. I have no other symptoms. Normal hematology, CBC bloodwork always comes out fine. The only thing in the last bloodwork is I had ANA positive with 1:160 homogenous and the DNA (ds) ABS came out as 11 which said it was po...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mildly positive antinuclear antibody titer which suggests auto immune disease and Anti-dsDNA (double-stranded DNA) which is slightly above the normal range suggests that you might have SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) but there are 11 other criterias out of...  Read Full »

Does lupus cause ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I tested negative for ANA but positive for anti-dsDNA. My GP diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylitis when I have many symptoms of lupus just not the rash. My sister also has lupus and did not test positive for ANA. She has seronegative lupus. I am under the impression that anti-d...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are specific for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), especially if the titers are high. Ankylosing spondylitis does not give you any kind of antibodies. Anti-smith antibodies are the most highly specific antibodies for lupus, but onl...  Read Full »

Does Raynaud's in hands and wide spread muscle pain suggest lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old female. About a year and a half ago I noticed Raynaud's in one finger. I had three episodes in two years. I have lost most of my eyebrows. Recently, I got three episodes of Raynaud's in both hands, and most fingers. I have joint pain that comes and goes in all joint...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and what I can convey is that in most of the cases, clinical picture is that of systemic sclerosis, scleroderma, SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) but as per the reports elevated anticardiolipin IgM and decreased complements can also ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for worsening muscle and joint pain for a longer period?

Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing muscle pain and joint pain for ten years which consistently got worse. The recent diagnosis shows leukocytosis. My WBC is consistently high at around 13000 - 15000. I also suffer fibromyalgia, migraines, TIA, unknown source of seizures, peripheral neuropathy, left h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main presentation is chronic muscle pain and joint pain. For that specific cause rule out first like connective tissue disorder, muscle dystrophy, neuropathic pain, spinal problem, HIV, thyroid issue, etc. For connective tissue panel testing, CT scan, s...  Read Full »

Why do my hands swell and cause intense pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I can notice some dots in vision when I heat up fast. My hands shake when I go into attack. I have blue fingers in cold; red swollen fingers and toes when it is hot outside also. I have intense pain everywhere when my hands are swollen. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon, in which the finger tips turn blue on exposure to cold. Subsequently, when the hands are warmed they turn white, then red and then normal. This could be a benign condition, especially in young ladies. Sometimes, it may ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my hands and wrists?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the antibody as such does not match your symptoms. It is an antibody for autoimmune disease more like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since it is positive, I would like to know if your ANA (antinuclear antibody) was positive as well, or only this came positive. ...  Read Full »

What does a positive ANA test in a diabetic patient indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 65 years old. She is a diabetic. For the past one month, she had fever, body pain, and joint pain. After a while, her leg started swelling, and slowly the blood platelet count came to 28000. She got admitted to the hospital and was on Xone antibiotics and Dolo 650 with tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and understood your concerns. Autoimmune attacks that lead to decreased platelet count (thrombocytopenia) are mostly associated with systemic lupus syndrome or can be associated with rheumatoid arthritis in case there is an associat...  Read Full »

Why do I have red bumps on my knuckles?

Query: Hi doctor,For as many years as I can remember I have these red bumps on my knuckles on the top of my hand. The funny thing is, every time when I am pregnant they disappear. Can you tell me what it could possibly be? I have eczema, but that does not go away during pregnancy.  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your pictures and descriptions (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like knuckle hyperpigmentation. It can occur in certain dermatological conditions like vitamin B12 deficiency, allergic contact dermatitis and SLE (systemic lup...  Read Full »